Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Traveling Egg

Options
GrillMeister
GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Traveling_Egg.jpg
<p />After spending over two weeks working out of country, I returned to spend Thanksgiving in the mountains of West Texas along with the family and the small egg.[p]Big Bend National Park was full, so we settled for desert camping on the edge of Davis Mountains in Balmorhea State Park for a few nights. [p]The small traveled very well and soon the smell of smoked brats and chicken wings filled the air. The egg transporter worked great securing it in the back of the truck while also making it easy to carry. It's great to be back egging after a couple of weeks of withdrawal. [grin][p]The small BGE, we won't leave home without it.[p]GrillMeister
Austin, TX

Cheers,

GrillMeister
Austin, Texas

Comments

• GrillMeister,
    that is good going. Glad your back. And never leaving home with out the little bge Priceless. See you in a few weeks to pickup the wicked good dump I mean lump.

• Bama Egger
    Options
    I read your post too quickly and got the initial impression you were having smoked bats and wings over there in Texas!
  • ravnhaus
    ravnhaus Posts: 311
    Options
    GrillMeister,
    Do you remember the photo book where the red couch travelled all over the world and was photographed in famous spots?
    I think I see some potential here for a similar project.

• Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Options
    GrillMeister,
    Would you mind sharing the specs for your small egg trasporter? It looks very handy and would make taking ours camping a lot easier? Thanks in adavance.

• AZGator
    Options
    GrillMeister,[p]How do you secure the firebox when travelling? I'm concerned about hitting a pothole, bouncing the whole thing, and cracking the firebox.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    GrillMeister,
    Could you post the dimensions for your crate, I will be hauling my small for a New years party and would love to build one. That is if`n it aint to much trouble...[p]Wess

• GrillMeister
    Options
    OK, here goes.[p]I started off with two 25"x25" sheets of 3/4" plywood at Home Depot. I had them cut down to 20" square. I then had them cut four pieces of a good quality 2x4 to 10 1/4" inch long. [p]I set it up and then drilled 3 holes on each side for each leg since I did not want the 2x4 to split. Once the holes were made, I applied some Gorilla glue and in went the screws. The screws were pretty long 2 or 2.5" too.[p]Notice the placement of the 2x4s for better stability.[p]I then cut a 15.5" hole out of one side. I used a piece of string to draw the circle which did not work well, but next time, I'll use TNW's method he showed on his new cart.[p]These dimensions are for a small with the new springloaded hinge, so double check yours. When I put the little feet underneath the small, the lid opens just fine.[p]Because of the 3 screws and Gorilla glue, I've been able to pick up both small & large by just grasping the top section of plywood. This makes for easy loading and unloading in a vehicle. The hardest part is getting the large egg out of the transporter. It takes two strong people to lift it out, but you can set it on one edge while you get a better grip on it before you place it back in the nest.[p]
    Egg_Transporter.jpg[p]
    I made another for one of my Large's and it has helped transport mine and friends that I've talked into getting an egg. You can pull the firebox out and put in a thin layer of bubble wrap and then set it back in for the trip and things are very stable.[p]Hard stops and tough turns are not a problem as these do not slide in the back of my Tahoe. I'd recommend securing them in the back of a pickup truck.[p]I made both of these for about $20 in parts from Home Depot and I made only one cut myself (the hole).[p]
    Tahoe.jpg[p]The BGE, don't leave home without it.

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • GrillMeister
    Options
    AZGator,[p]I use a thin layer of bubble wrap. Works great.[p]I also try to avoid potholes [grin]

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • GrillMeister
    Options
    SteveO,[p]check out my reponse to WessB.[p]Cheers,[p]Ed

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • GrillMeister
    Options
    ravnhaus,[p]Hmmmm. Sounds like a plan.

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    GrillMeister,
    Now thats what I call a detailed post....THANKS, I will have mine built in no time...[p]Wess

• GrillMeister
    Options
    WessB,[p]Great. Let me know how it works out. Will you paint it green?

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas