Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Prime Rib

bigred0526bigred0526 Posts: 11
edited 3:03AM in EggHead Forum
I am going to cook a 5lb prime rib this week. Any suggestions on how to do it or a recipe. I am using a large green egg

Thank you
Andrew
·

Comments

•  
    I really like using thirdeyes Prime Rib Method

primerib.jpg

primeribcut.jpg

GG
    ·
  • RRPRRP Posts: 14,970
    I agree with the Thirdeye approach - yet for the last two I've done I hot tubbed them for 45 minutes and that has made a world of difference!
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • what is hot tubing. Dont mean to ask a dumb question but I dont know

Andrew
    ·
  • RRPRRP Posts: 14,970
    It's a type of Sous Vide more commonly called Hot Tubbing on this board. At least 1 hour before you plan to egg the meat submerge the meat sealed in a plastic bag into a container of hot water from the tap. The desired temp of the water should be checked from time to time during the hour and should be over 100 degrees. I find my tap water runs about 125 degrees. I also find that I have to change the water at least 3 to 4 times in that hour. This way your internal temp will be somewhere around 90° when it goes on the grill. The finished prime rib - if pulled off at 134° will be medium rare, but a nice pink throughout and not blue and cold.
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • It means to submerge a piece of meat in roughly 100 degree water(hence hot tubbing)in a ziploc bag(or similar) in order to bring the meat's temperature up. It can significantly reduce time on the grill and loss of moisture. The technique is most often used for steak cuts that are seared and served fairly rare. Mark
    ·
  • We always do a rib roast at Christmas.Now I know how I'm going to do it....if I can wait that long :laugh:
    Thanks for the mouth watering pics GG.
    Jon
    ·
  • Beautiful. I think I will do one soon.

Geaux Tigers!!
    ·