So I've decided to go ceramic and made a thread a couple days ago to help me with my decision on which brand to go with. At that point in time, I was only considering the BGE XL and the Primo Oval. Now I'm rethinking the whole size thing and here's why. I'd say that 90% of my cooking is going to be for one or two people. The other 10% will be for larger crowds of probably 10 to 12 folks and most of those meals will be standard fare bbq such as pork butts, an occasional brisket, and racks of ribs on game days (whoo pig!). So that is why I was thinking I was needing the largest size but here's the kicker...I have a really nice charcoal grill/smoker made from the kind folks at JR Enterprises down in DeWitt, Arkansas. Initially I was thinking of replacing that smoker with one ceramic unit (BGE XL) but now I don't know if I just keep it and go with a Large BGE. I really want to get into cooking pizzas on the ceramic and with the small meals I'd be cooking the majority of the time, perhaps the Large makes the most sense.
So I'd like to hear from the kind eggheads on this forum and here are my questions specifically...
1) Will I have to use excessive amounts of charcoal to cook for two if I have the BGE XL? Will it take considerably longer to heat the XL if I'm looking to sear just a couple of steaks or cook a couple of chicken breasts? I'm asking this in relation to doing these things on the Large BGE.
2) I turn out some dang good Q on the smoker I have that is plenty large for cooking for small parties. Will I still want to cook on the smoker if I purchase a Large Egg?
3) How many folks can you cook a bbq spread for on the Large Egg? Can you fit a few racks of ribs and possibly a butt or brisket on a Large at one time?
And anything else you'd like to throw in...if someone has been in a similar situation as mine I'd love to hear it. Thanks!