Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Cook on Small BGE

Options
bigdtd
bigdtd Posts: 32
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been checking out the BGE for a long time, and with football season here, I finally pulled the trigger on a small BGE. I chose the small because it will cook 4 ribeyes at once and I can still take it tailgating without additional lifting help. I took it to the Dallas/Tampa Bay game for an inauguration. I was lit, cooking, eating burgers, and cooling down before any of the conventional grills even got going. I used BGE lump and two lighter squares and the grill was reading 600 degrees in a little over 10 minutes. Cooked the burgers per JohnnyBurger instructions included with the egg and perfection! After cooking I closed all the vents and the unit was cool enough to put back into the SUV before the game. I got there early to have time but the NFL would not let us in until 3 hours before gametime. I was concerned that the unit would be too hot, but it cooled sufficiently after 2 hours to put in the vehicle.
The Cowboys won and I had great food to celebrate. Love my egg. My small seems to get to 600 and stay there(vents open). I am going to check the thermometer and experiment with additional lump to see if I can get 650F.

Comments

• bigdtd
    Options
    a few crappy phone pics :)

bge1.jpg

bge2.jpg
  • Susan Egglaine
    Options
    Very nice except for that nasty jersey you have on :laugh: Last year at Fedx (I think)someone put a grill in there truck went in to the game came back out...no car or the one beside him either :ohmy:
  • bigdtd
    Options
    I was worried someone would steal my car for the grill. But the windows are tinted so they couldn't see my egg..... :)
  • Mo Daddy
    Options
    I cooked burgers on my large for my first cook since it was nice and easy and I wanted to play with regulating the temps using the vents.

You can never go wrong with Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout or any Sam Smith beer for that matter. Although I have to agree with an earlier poster that any beer suits me just fine.

Good luck with your BGE. I cooked baby backs once on my Weber kettle before I got my BGE and the baby backs on the egg are now my family's favorite.

Mo Daddy
    Arlington Heights, IL
  • bigdtd
    Options
    there is definitely a recalibration period in switching from a weber kettle. i had webers for the last 20 years and had learned to cook anything on them. the bge is so much more precise with temperatures and control. so far steaks, burgers, and dogs have been spectacular. i am going to smoke something or do a roast next....the wheels are turning.