Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

why is it taking my BGE so long to hit 650?

Options
Maverik85
Maverik85 Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
IF anyone can help me on this. Why has it taken over 30 minutes just to hit 500 when I'm trying to get the BGE to 650

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Options

There can be several reasons, I would need to know more on what you are doing with lump load, lighting and vent settings - which size egg.

Heat = Fuel + Oxygen

Most likely it is in the way you are lighting the lump

or

The air flow up through the lump.

Make sure you do not have any small pieces of lump blocking the air holes in the fire grate or in the air holes in the fire box.

Open lower vent & screen full, DFMT completely off the egg.

If you are going to 650° light in 4 to 5 places, 3, 6, 9, 12 o'clock and dead center. Move a little lump in each spot and light about 1 to 2 inched down into the lump and the burn develops move the lump back over the spots.

You don't need a fan/blower to get the egg hot relative quick. Also, you don't need clean new lump, or a completely clean fire box or a large pieces of lump. If you do your job the egg is very capable of reaching 500° in 15 minutes or so.

Get and use (or make) a wiggle rod. A coat hanger is a poor substitute but will work if you have nothing else available at the time. Use the wiggle rod through the lower vent and up through the fire grate - don't dislodge or tilt the fire grate when clearing the air holes.

If you continue to have problems there are some other things you can do. If you want that info let me know but try the above first.

GG
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    light more spots in the lump for quicker start up, might buy a small fan or something to induce more air. Remember though, need to give lump time to burn in, burn off the bad smells. looking for clean smoke. t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • bitslammer
    Options
    Be sure you don't' have a "sticky" thermometer too. The dome thermo on my MED recently has started to "stick" and I know this because I've checked with an oven thermo and an IR Gun type thermo. Not much to do there but buy a new one.
  • Thanks! That helped me.