Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A timing question for those who DID brine

WessB
WessB Posts: 6,937
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I`m reading several post about finishing earlier than expected....Did EVERYONE that brined finish faster than expected????? I`m cooking mine in the morning and I may have to adjust my cooking times, sure would be nice to get some extra sleep. I brined for 3 full days for the record...[p]Wess

Comments

• WessB,
    My Bird did seem to finish a little faster then planned. Had 11 lb at 350. seemed Think that it was about 2 hrs

• BillyT
    BillyT Posts: 29
    WessB,
    I did a 26 lb turkey at 335 in 5.5 hours, it had been brined overnight and was perfect. At 15 minutes per pound it would have been 6.5 hours.
    BillyT

• WessB,
    Yes, our bird finished a bit quicker than expected. I did start off at 475 for about 40 minutes then dropped down to 325-350. Everyone enjoyed, I felt the smoke overpowered the brine, but it was moist.

• WessB,
    I assume that after 3 days of brining, the bird wasn't salty? The John Ash web page says if you brine too long, it will get too salty, while Alton Brown says that you have to brine long enough to reach equilibrium so that the liquids inside and outside can exchange. I believe AB, fwiw....
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    The Naked Whiz,
    I wont know until I cook it tomorrow, lets hope its not to salty..I also plan to put up on my website all of the details, that is, IF it is succesful...[p]Wess

• WessB,
    Ooops, I missed that little detail![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Lance
    Lance Posts: 11
    WessB,[p]See my earlier post, "Brined Bird Results". I brined my bird for 48 hrs. and it tasted great. My wife doesn't care for too much saltiness in her foods and she thought that it was great.[p]I did finish a tad bit earlier that I thought. I cooked my 17 lb. bird indirect inside a drip pan filled with water and wine. My dome time was steady at 325 the entire cook and the breast temp was 160 and the thighs at 187 in just under 3 hrs! It was the juicest bird that I've done yet. [p]I would say that after 3 days of brining your bird will cook faster than expected. I planned for 15 min. per lb. which, under that assumption, should have taken about 4 hrs. My cook was 1 hr. less than that. Hope this helps!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    The Naked Whiz,
    I brined for 4 days and there wasn't a salty taste to it. Afterall the salt was just one of several ingredients.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    WessB,
    My 18.5lb turkey also finished early - about an hour and a half sooner than I expected. But I did not brine. Just seasoned with salt, pepper, Tsunami Spin and lots of pecan smoke. My set-up was also indirect with drip pan, but no water. I did pour in a bottle of beer about half way through the cook to avoid drying out too much. I may try brining next time around.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    SteveO,
    Yeah....that Tsunami will speed things up a bit...hehe. Seriously, thanks for having the confidence to coat your Thanksgiving bird with tsunami spin! I have a bird in the bottom of the fridge since I did NO cooking this year. Might join Corndude and cook mine on Sunday....think it is a 13 pounder. Will probably be going Tsunami too....might just set up a little light Qfan-style ginger brine for it tomorrow. Might not. [p]How did you like the pecan? I have a nice chunk o' trunk Wise One handed me at Eggtoberfest.[p]Cheers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • WessB,
    I was thinkin of askin the same question about brined turks being done early as I haven't seen anyone post about turks being done late this year. We don't own an egg :-( [p]My son did an Alton Brown (brine) recipe (on a 'water absorbed' turk) that called for starting the turkey at 500 degrees for half an hour - after our 1/2 hour, we were nearly at 150 - had to shut the oven off - we were planning on approx 5or6 hours. (Skin came out crackly crisp as a result of that first half hour - 15 or 20 minutes may have been enough to crisp up that skin)[p]I think the combination of 'water absorbed' and 'salt solution added' turkeys on the market this year led to quite a few people being caught off guard.

• Rich
    Rich Posts: 67
    WessB,
    I brined an 18 lb turkey for 12 hours. I cooked it indirect with a vertical roaster. I expected about 4 hours and it was done in 2 hours.
    Rich