Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

boiling water

rho1640
rho1640 Posts: 118
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
can you do this - I have a feeling my stove/oven will be dying very soon - and I am going to be waiting till the end of October to get new appliances (need a new fridge too) since I heard a rumor of cash for clunkers type of thing -- so I know I can bake, grill, use my Dutch Oven and my cast iron pans in a BGE - but can I boil water to do noodles or things -- and can you do hamburgers and steak like you would on a gas grill - without closing the top.

thanks - I think I must be getting near the end of my questions by now -

Comments

• Hi. We just had a forum throwdown Aug 28-29th where we had to cook rice on the egg. Yes, and we all did it, most of us never having boiled water and cooked that on the egg before. Go for it. Just use a safe pot and cook away.
    Good luck.

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    yep, but why would you want to cook with the dome open?
  • If you leave the dome open, the temp just goes higher and higher. The only way to control the dome temp is to cook your burgers and steak with the dome closed - it gives your food a wood-grilled flavor that way too.

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

•  
    Lump burns at about 1,900° in the orange lava looking areas.

Pizza cooks are commonly 500° - 600° (for some folks), water boils at 212° or less depending on altitude.

Of course, you can boil water in the egg. If you let it boil over, well you know the result...

I use the dutch oven on an inverted spider and I can simmer chicken/beef stock at a dome temperature of 330° 300° at dutch oven level. I am guessing 350° to 400° dome would take that to a rolling boil.

GG
  •  
    Just wondering... Other than to keep an eye on things, why would it matter dome open or closed?

I simmer for hours with the dome closed. 20° or so more and the mix would be into a boil.

Not sure if I would put a lid on the pan or DO thought.

Steam burn might be an issue.

GG
  • Yes, you can boil water, but it will take a lot longer to get 4 quarts of water boiling for noodles that you expect. Hot air in an oven-like environment contains much less heat than a heating element on a stove.
    The Naked Whiz
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,500
    Morning rho1640:

We did the full spaghetti & meatballs meal on the Egg one night

CLICK HERE

Like The Whiz said though, it does take longer than you think it would for the water to boil.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    You could always go to Walmart or the grocery store and buy a hot plate. For $20 or so, you can boil all the water you want. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• rho1640
    Thanks - you all have to remember that I don't have my egg yet (I have the money mostly saved up for it - but not quite there yet maybe another week) so things are still a puzzle to me ...as obsessed as I have been about reading all the posts since before I officially joined - I don't know how the heck I missed the rice thing though - except I may have dismissed that part of it because I do my rice in a rice cooker ;)

Considering there are 3 or 4 Egg dealers around here you would think I could find one person locally who actually uses one wouldn't you... so I could see it in action - I missed my chance when DrBBQ was at Vitales up island a few weeks ago but it was horrible weather (think almost a hurricane lol) and too far to drive -- but I will be buying from him even though there are other places closer - he has answered questions for me - quoted me a good price and is the most knowledgeable about actually using rather than just selling the Egg.

Plus you all are a great source of information and pictures that make me have to wipe drool off my laptop keyboard -- so I know that there are people who can help me along on my Egg journey - So basically I was figuring when my stove does die completely I can use the egg to do most everything while I keep pondering which range to get and wait for the rebates to come out.

I hope you all realize just how much your information means to people making a decision about spending the money for a BGE - and knowing you will be here to help later on is huge

so thank you all again - I really appreciate your patience and knowledge
  • For your reading pleasure, here is the throwdown which shows lots of rice being cooked on the egg. Enjoy.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=715376&catid=1

Faith

• rho1640
    ok - that made me hungry -- ;)