Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

brisket help please

gtalvola
gtalvola Posts: 42
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This is my first brisket cook and I could use some help!

Last night I rubbed a 6 lb brisket flat with some homemade rub and threw it on the BGE indirect. The temperature at grill level stayed around 220 all night, but the internal temperature of the brisket is still only 156. Does brisket have a plateau that low? My previous butt cooks plateaued closer to 170.

This needs to be done within the next 4 hours. I bumped up the heat a bit to try to get to 250-275. Should I foil it with liquid? Just leave it naked until it's done? What internal temp should I shoot for (I was thinking 200)? Advice wanted, thanks!

Comments

• Forgot to mention it's already been cooking for 13.5 hours. I thought it would be done by now!
  • Yes, it could be in the plateau. I would bump the dome temp to 250 on all future cooks since the temp at the grill would be around 25 degrees lower. I wouldn't cover it or anything just watch the internal temp and boost the heat if you have to. I usually pull around 180 to 185 meat temp. Shove a fork into it and see if there is much resistance to puncturing or twisting. If it resists, cook a little longer, if not pull it and rest in foil for 1/2 hour.
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    If it is 6 lb and you've been cooking for 13 hours, something is weird. I would wrap it in foil and bump up the temp a bit...300-325 range. Does it have any kind of fat cap on it at all? 160 is plateau, give or take. Usually pull at 190...but a 6 pounder is a little guy and shouldn't take 2 hours a pound!! Then when you are done, check your thermometer. 200 on a flat is a little high to pull. You're going to start getting dry.
  • I agree with molly. At this point you've had enough and you say you need it in a couple hours. I would douple wrap in heavy duty foil with some type of liquid, maybe beef broth if you have it and take the egg up to 325 or so. Im still not sure it will finish in time for ya. Pull it at 190 because it will continue to cook after its pulled. I cooked one this weekend and it came on up about 7 degrees after I foiled it and pulled it. Good luck.
  • It must have been just done with the plateau when I posted, because I boosted temp to 275 and the meat temp is rising pretty quickly now. It'll be done within an hour I believe. Thanks for the help and I'll let you know how the final product turns out. (I'm taking it to the Patriots-Bills game this afternoon!)
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    was your dome therm calibrated?
  • My dome thermometer was calibrated recently, but I'll double-check it before my next cook.

I pulled the brisket at 185. It came out tender but a bit dry, but fine when served with BBQ sauce on a bun. My fellow tailgaters made quick work of it and I got lots of compliments.

Next time I need to use more smoke wood as there was no perceptible smoke flavor (and very little smoke ring), and I'll either foil with liquid partway through the cook or inject with a marinade ahead of time to try to get it a bit more moist. But all in all, it was a success.
  • Brisket takes commitment but the results are worth it. There are some very basic rules to follow and they are quite lengthy.

I would advise that you use double briskets not singles. I assume that you have put a half-decent rub on the brisket. Don't use sugar. Wrap and put in the fridge over night.

Figure your cooking time from 1.5 to 2 hours per pound. And you should allow for another 1 to 2 hours for resting. Always work out the time you need and work backwards to a starting point. If your guests arrive and the brisket is at 150, you're screwed. You are always better off finishing earlier than late. If you are very early, you can wrap the finished brisket in double foil and stick it in an oven heated to only 170. This will keep the brisket warm without cooking it further.

Your fire temperature (or what is showing on the thermometer on the lid of the Egg) should be in the 190 to 210 range. Your internal meat temperature target should be 190. Get and use a remote thermometer. It is essential.

Fire building at low temperatures is an art. The secret is to clean as much ash as you can from the bottom of the egg before using. Try to put most of the charcoal on one side of the egg. These steps will maximize your air flow which is key.

For flavour, if you like it smoky as I do, use hickory chunks. Do not use chips. They're useless.

So get your fire going and hold its temperature to 190-210. Throw in your pre-soaked wood chunks. Put in your place setter, legs up. Now put on your drip pan, half-filled with water. Set the grill above. Put the brisket on top fat side up. Put your remote thermometer probe in the fattest part of the meat. Close the lid.

Make a basting mixture (worcestershire sauce, bbq sauce, beer and whatever). Don't use anything sugary and add a fair amount of water. You don't want to add anything thick to the meat . Mop every hour. If you have to go to bed, don't worry about it. Just resume mopping in the morning.

Now for the most important piece of information. Brisket is a strange piece of meat. As you follow the read outs on your remote, you will notice at the outset that the temperature is climbing steadily; however, when it reaches between 155 and 165, it plateaus. That is the temperature just stays there. In fact it can stay there for up to 3 hours before it starts to climb again. Most people who are unaware of this will think that they did something wrong and quit or increase the fire temperature which, of course, will destroy your desired result. So don't panic. The temperature will rise again in time.

After the brisket has rested, you are ready to serve. Slice on a 45 degree angle to the grain.

Easy, no?