Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wooden Cutting Board--How to Clean

Bluecrab3
Bluecrab3 Posts: 328
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've started regurlarly using a fantastic wooden cutting board. Is there anything I should be doing to prevent bacteria contamination other than cleaning with hot soap and water? Thanks.

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    That's it. And make sure to dry it thoroughly as soon as you wash it. If you desire you can use anti-bacterial wipes after you wash and dry it for peace of mind. Just oil it or you will dry the wood and ruin the board.

I oil mine every 4-6 weeks with mineral oil to keep it conditioned.

An excerpt from the web site of the person that made my board (Ozark West):

Is a wooden cutting surface sanitary?

In 1993 the Food Research Institute at the University of Wisconsin conducted tests of wood surfaces. Their goal was to compare wooden cutting boards with plastic cutting boards for relative safety and cleanliness. Seven species of wood were tested with intentional contamination of E-Coli, listeria and salmonella (bacteria which can cause sickness in humans); as were four types of plastic. To everyone's surprise, they found that on all of the wood surfaces the bacteria were killed off within 3 minutes of touching the wood surface. This did not happen on the plastic surfaces. Therefore their recommendations were as follows: Simply use normal hygiene (soap and water) when cleaning a wooden cutting surface and all bacteria left behind will be killed by the wood itself-leaving a sanitary surface for your next usage. We also recommend using a weak (1-10) dilution of bleach if it makes you feel better. It won't harm the wood.
  • Thanks, as always.
  • jagweed
    jagweed Posts: 188
    salt and lemon is the "old fashioned" way.

not very hospitable to bacteria
  • I’m in Fidel’s camp B)
    I’ve been using wood cutting boards for nearly 40 years. Actually, the one I use the most IS probably 40 years old.
    I have always just washed them with dish soap and given a good HOT rinse. It is then towel dried and left to continue “air drying” before going back to the cabinet.
    I must often use mineral oil, but also used Amazon’s Amazing Toxic Free Finishing Oil. I’ve had it for years and don’t even know if it still available, but it came from Amazon Lumber & Trading Corp
  • Salt and a wire brush.
    I have a 60 year old meat block that I clean that way and have had zero problems.
    E
  • I have read this too! Come to think about it…I believe my mother used to do this every once in a while, but then she went to using the plastic boards.
    Does it also deodorize?
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    I use dish soap all the time, on al oiled board and have never detected any off flavors.