Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It IS a mini!!!

Options
Mr. Hyde
Mr. Hyde Posts: 99
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I finally got to open this mysterious box that said "Big Green Egg" on it, and surprise! It is a mini. Now, what do I do with this tiny thing? [p]First, I noticed it has no daisy, just the rain cap...do you normally cook with the top open, and control the temp from the bottom? How low a temp can I reasonably expect to maintain?[p]Secondly, what can I cook on it? Is it just a grill, or can it be setup for low and slow? Is there a fish grid that will fit. [p]It looks like there will be a small learning curve (as with any cooker), and I am loking for pointers from those that have use these things. [p]My goodness, this thing is cute![p]Thanks, and happy turkey day![p]Larry

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Mr. Hyde,
    Congrats..and Happy Bday and Happy Tday.....I cant help ya much with your questions as all I have done with mine is grilling, did some strips after you talking about the mini that little guy got up to 700° and the strips were awesome. I definately would like to work on a raised grid, either with bolts or a ring as YB had made.So far I cook with no top on it at all, the daisy for the small fits fairly well until BGE releases the one that Earl was using at Eggtoberfest..keep us informed of your adventures...If anyone can test the limits of any Egg...it`s you and Tonia...yall`s some cookin peoples..[p]Wess

• Mr. Hyde,my daddy has a mini. He lives by himself, and mainly cooks steaks on it. It will way blast some steaks. it has no temp guage, but if t did i bet 1100* would be common. I love the mini. Just looking I think you could spatchcock a small cicken in it. burgers apk chops too. uses considerably less fuel for small quick blasts tha my large. I don't imagine it would do very good on low and slow, but other people are smartew than me aboutthat.Maybe you could regulate it low temp., . Probably could. the fire is very close to the meat thoufh, probably witou room fnd of a heat sheild. don't knw. just have to experiment. Might could work in a fire brick or something.

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    WessB,[p]I bet YB can come up with something to fit one of those 20 pound turkeys being talked about below on the mini![p]Happy Thanksgiving! No turkey cooking for me today. I was hoping to, but am going to a pretty big gathering with several turkeys already being cooked. I'm contributing cornbread and sausage sage stuffing from Julia and Jacques.[p]Ironically, I have a huge bird in my fridge today which I will be cooking this weekend. Since I couldn't be late for Thanksgiving, I thought I'd be really early practicing for Christmas. I should have time to get a few practice runs in...[p]Heeee,
    Cornfed

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    minicook.jpg
    <p />Mr. Hyde,
    I talked to Jim Nufer yesterday and the new top for the mini egg will be ready in a couple of weeks.Larry you will learn to have meat cut to fit the mini.You can cook for four on it with practice.Here is a couple of picture of my mini.In the one picture there is 27 chicken drumetts on the little guy.
    Larry

[ul][li]Four Bone in Chicken Breast[/ul]
  • tn slagamater
    Options
    Mr. Hyde,congratulations, what a nice present!!At this Eggtoberfest, Chef Arnoldi had a plate setter for the mini which he had made using a small pizza stone and some 1/2 inch kiln posts for legs. It was ingenious.Hopefully, YB will post pictures of a 20 lb turkey cooking in the mini. If anyone can do it, he would be the man! The new mini daisey tops are supposed to arrive soon.

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Mr. Hyde,
    Here is a picture of the stainless steel ring I had made for the mini egg.The ring is 9"x1 1/2" and makes cooking easy.
    Larry

[ul][li]Raised Grid on The Mini Egg[/ul]
  • Chef Arnoldi
    Options
    3393249523232%7Ffp8%3Enu%3D3236%3E7%3B2%3E586%3Ewsnrcg%3D323248%3C%3B825%3A3nu0mrj
    <p />Mr. Hyde, congratulations - you got a great smoker as a gift. i made a 3lb chicken on it for about 1hr 20min without burning, by using a mini platesetter i made from a 9" pizza stone.(that took me about 4days of lots of drilling tiny holes every 1/4" along my pr-drawn shape, then using a chisel to break off the unwanted sections & then filing it smooth. using stainless steel screws & rutland cement to glue on the legs- 1" kiln spacers)
    the reason i made the platesetter was to allow indirect (or shielding of the meat) cooking. since there is very little room for much lump charcoal, the low & slow cooks may only last you 4hrs (estimated)- i will have to try it one day.
    but it also allows you a place to put a drip pan on.
    the distance between platesetter top & grid bottom is 1/2".
    the platesetter legs sit on the firebox edge.
    the round platesetter inner circle is 6" (which is the same ratio of size to the large plateseter.
    all the material was purchased at Daven's (a ceramic hobby shop)

• Mr. Hyde
    Options
    Chef Arnoldi,[p]Very cool! What kind of file works on ceramics? How do the screws work? Are they drilled into the pizza stone? Will ceramics accept a screw, and if so, is it a wood thread, or a sheet metal thread? [p]Now you have me intrigued.