Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Heip Placesetter and Adjustable Rig don't fit

ewillie
ewillie Posts: 155
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I can't get my Placesetter and Adjustable Rig to fit right in my Large.

Is it just me, or do they not expect you to use them both at the same time.

I'm going to do some wings for a neighborhood OSU/USC party tonight, and prefer doing them indirect. Maybe that's not necessary?

Comments

• DryFly
    DryFly Posts: 351
    It's one or the other, not both! You will need to get a 14" BGE Pizza Stone and place it over the cross bars that come with the AR. Top that with a 14" drip pan from the CGS and You're all set. That setup will make your PS superfluous. You will not miss it. I got the Woo2 and stone for my large and the PS hasn't been out of the box since.
  • Ya the only time I use my platesetter now is when I'm making pizza.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Try doing your wings direct on the top level of the rig -- and only put in enough lump to about half fill the firebox. The goal is to get the wings about 15" above the lump.

I do them this way at 375-400*, flip at 20 minutes and they are nearly done in 45, and more crisp than when done indirect. The distance from the lump helps prevent burning/charring but you still get the direct heat to crisp the skin.
  • What DryFly said.

And what Fidel said. I like wings done that way, the slight flareups add to the flavor if your wings are high in the dome.

I use a foil-wrapped pizza stone/drip pan on the spider and only use the platesetter for the dutch oven or pizzas.

Good luck. The wings'll be real good.
  • There are times when you will want to use the Placesetter and Adj rig....I recommend getting one of the 2 inch fire-rings...then they will both fit.

But take the advice of your friends here and do those wings direct raised. Personally, do mine in the 325-350 range for longer to get them smoky and crispy.

Good luck
  • ewillie
    Excellent point, and as luck would have it I have the pizza stone already.
  • ewillie
    Thanks everyone. The wings were great, I did half hot and half with Sweet Baby Rays, and they were all eaten.

I wish the Buckeyes had come out so well, but USC got the better of them. Erik