Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Would you eat this?

Options
Bash
Bash Posts: 1,011
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cooked up some Frijoles ala Charra

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=613688&catid=1

Took them off the egg at 1:30 last night, and sat on the couch to wait for them to cool off. Mistake. Woke up at 6AM with them sitting on the stove top. Internal temp was 105.

Would you eat them or toss them? The only meat in them is bacon.

Comments

• eggineric
    Options
    I probably would. I would just make sure to heat thoroughly before eating again. But I have ate lasagna that has sat on the counter overnight too. Just my opinion.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    I'll assume they were piping hot when you pulled them.
    I would heat well and eat them or cool them quick then eat later.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Think of it this way:
    Had you pulled them off the Egg and put them straight into the frig in the CI pot and then thought "I think I want another bowl" so you pull them out of the frig and find their temp to be 105 degrees, would you throw them out? :huh:

You should be just fine.
  • jagweed
    jagweed Posts: 188
    Options
    i think of it this way...

what would have contaminated it after cooking? if he stirred it with a spoon that had contacted raw meat, there might be an issue.

but if it was cooked, and thereby rendered 'safe' to eat, what would make it any different than leaving out a loaf of bread? seriously.

all that acidic sauce, and no raw contaminants (unless it was cross contaminated after cooking). what's the issue?

sure, it was between 40-140 for four hours, but lots of foods are... the reason they don't want you serving foods that have been heated and served and then allowed to fall back under safe holding temperatures are because the assumption is that they have been cross contaminated afterward. if they haven't been, they should be safe to eat.

i'm even of the mind lately that no one has explained why a cold butt would even be unsafe.

that's a conundrum.

the only real issue with a cold butt that i can see is actually botulism. and even that is remote.

long way to go to say that i'd have a bowl of that stuff myself. only real danger i can understand is fermentation unless contaminated cooking utensils were used to serve it
  • Bash
    Options
    Stike,

I did in fact eat a bowl. Waiting a while before I feed it to the wife and kids. Just to be safe.

The only danger in my mind is the bacon, but it was cooked for several hours on the egg (in the beans).

If I don't check in in the next few days, ya'll might know why...

Richard
  • Bash
    Options
    The difference to me is that if the were in the fridge they cooled quickly. On the counter, it took 4.5 hours to get down to 105.

Having said that, I did eat a bowl. It was mighty tasty (toned down the original recipe - less chipotle and pepper).

Obviously, since I ate some, I think it must be safe, but I'm still not willing to feed it to anyone else yet. (Not too hard - the wife and kids aren't big bean fans.)

Thanks for the thoughts.
  • jagweed
    Options
    it was cured bacon, right? salt, nitrates...

after cooking (heck, BEFORE cooking, hahaha), there's no way there's anything remotely at issue with the bacon.

good luck with the diarrhea. we'll be thinking of you.

(maybe it's growing up in erstwhile farm country that makes me so hard to convince. we'd leave lasagna out on the counter with foil on it 'cuz it was too big to fit in the fridge. fishless has said his family also used to put the turkey in the garage overnight... hahaha maybe we new englanders are just stupid and lucky...)
  • Looks great, I lived in Asia before, and you ain't seen it unless you go to open air meat markets. No refrigeration and the meat lays there all day.
  • jagweed
    Options
    zackly.

half the guys here hunt, and have no problem hanging a deer outside for a day or so to go through rigor mortis.

hahahaha