Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can I do this? Two grills back to back

Options
Big Green Nephron
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi gang,

Tonight I'm going to grill some tenderloins. I also bought a pork shoulder, and was going to slow cook it overnight. I was thinking about cranking up the egg to full temperature, grilling the steaks, then letting it cool and finish the steaks. Once the steaks were done, I was going to turn the egg right down and let it cool to the temperature for the slow cook, and dump a bunch of fresh charcoal on top.
Does this sound like a decent pla? The other alternative is to wait until the fire is completely out and the egg is cool, then reloading the egg with charcoal and doing the slow cook.

What do people think?

Cheers!

Comments

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    That will work just fine.
  • SeattleQ
    Options
    As long as you have enough charcoal I do not see the problem, not to mention the good use of a lit fire. Have fun!
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    I basically did that last weekend. Interestingly enough I reloaded the lump around 200 degrees and ended up chasing the temp for much of the evening. But it all worked out.
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    I think your probelm is going to be getting the egg cool enough. If I as you, I would direct sear the steaks and finish them in the oven to your desired temp. When you put the cool platesetter in the egg, close it down andget to your desired temp for the low and slow.

If you try to finish the steaks around 400 indirect and then get it down to 250, you are going to have a tough time.
  • Put the new lump in while the egg is cooling down to drive off the VOCs. Don't let it get to the new temperature and then add the new lump just before putting on the meat
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    You will be fine because you could not have used that much lump to do the steaks.If the lump was loaded with the big chunks down the bottom you are good to go.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Be prepared for a long wait for the egg to cool down to 225 - 250 dome. Make sure you maintain the low temperature for at least 45 minutes before putting your overnight cook on. If the temperature is not maintained before you put the meat on, you will be in for a long night of messing with the vents!
    Good luck.

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • That will work.

If you know the settings that you use for the temperature you'll cook those butts, after the steaks come off, set the damper and Daisey to cook the butts. Put the butts on cold and it'll bring your egg temperature down pretty fast, and since you know that you'll be close with the temperature settings, don't sweat it. It'll work great.
  • Thanks everyone!