Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HAM SLO COOK

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hope someone has a minute to reply...If'n I cook this 20lb ham that's been de-boned, for 24 hours for Thanksgiving...will it be close to same texture / tenderness as pulled pork from a butt? Oh, case anyone's intrested, I'm makin up a new recipe...replacing the mustard thing with a paste of fresh herbs (marjoram, sage, basil, garlic, sesame oil) then dustin it good with coarse blk pepper and salt. It's in a salt water brine now with some of those same things in it. One mo thing...if it don't get to 200 by time fire goes out, should I start another fire?

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Wrap it in foil and cook at about 250° for 8 hours, Chet. It should be falling off the bone by then. If not, put it back on for a couple more hours. This method was posted over on the BBQ Forum a week or two ago. I haven't cooked one like this yet, but I ate one done this way in the oven last year and it was awesome.[p]Jim
  • Big John
    Options
    Chet,
    I did an 18# fresh boneless ham for pulled pork last winter and it was great. I did it just like a butt and it took 31 hours. I used the Large egg and still had fire when the ham reached 200 degrees. Enjoy.[p]Big John

• dan
    dan Posts: 57
    Options
    Chet,[p]Would a ham really benefit from a saltwater brine? Seems like it might get too salty![p]I just did a big bone-in ham last weekend and it was wonderful. Used Dave's Double Smoked ham recipe. Always a hit at the family gatherings. [p]Dan.

• Dan.,
    Where did you find Dave's Double Smoked ham recipe ???