Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hot smoked Salmon

fiver29
fiver29 Posts: 628
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok. I haven't posted pictures in a while so lets see if this works.

I set my bbq guru to 175 for both the pit and meat temp with ramp on. I decided to use the blue egg (see my profile). Here is where I have been locked since the beginning:

3908994193_bccf5c2837.jpg

Then here is a photo of the salmon on the egg. I cut the end off since I thought it would cook faster. Using my thermapen I am getting 100 degrees everywhere after 30 minutes? Is that right?

And yes, I butchered it when I tried cutting off the skin. I went through 3 knives to get it off.

3909776532_dae7c8eee8.jpg
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
[I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

Comments

• jagweed
    jagweed Posts: 188
    why bother with taking off the skin? i would think you could peel it right off at the end....

here are my blue eggs, by the way. i paid $50 less for these because the glaze fired incorrectly. not many folks know about these, you have to call HQ and ask for Bobby-Q directly ;) :evil:

Xeggs.jpg
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    no need to skin. when cooked slide the spatula between the skin and flesh, it will come right off.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    your neighbors must catch you drooling from their food coming off that gasser
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fiver29
    I'm glad to see more blue eggs :cheer: :cheer:

Ok, so the finished product took just 2 hours to hit the 140 mark. Its not the biggest filet. Just a nice piece to make a trial run.

Thanks to thirdeye again for all his tips and suggestions. This is in the fridge and is going to my cousin's house tomorrow for a homebrew day/Buckeyes party. I'll let you know what people think of it. Thanks!!

3909153517_c7f0422ff2.jpg

3909936854_dfcc4f781c.jpg
    Strongsville, Ohio

[I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    i did a fair amout of skinning on lake trout this year, the trick is the longest fillet knife you can find works best, that and it needs to be sharp ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fiver29
    I may have to pick one up next time I'm out. That way if I decide to do that again I won't have such a hard time.
    Strongsville, Ohio

• The classic fillet knife made by Rapala (the wood handle one) is - in my opinion - still the best. I wasted a lot of money on more modern/expensive models that hack the fish. The blade is very sharp out of the package and has a good amount of flex to it. For thin skin fish like laketrout and salmon the flex helps really flatten the blade down to the cutting board. Your salmon looks good enough to eat to me! ;)
  • This is still my favourite cook - transforms cheap, farmed salmon into something else.
    Looks very nice. I like the blue eggs too!
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    I like the wood handle Rapala too, but their 'lectric one is a real sweetheart.

3a988d01.jpg

404a736b.jpg

If you have the chance, check out the Kershaw fillet knife, shown here with another kind of fillet heheee. The blade is nice and flexible, and is just over 9" which puts the total length of the knife just over 14". Nice grip surface on the handle too.

DSC06555JPGa.jpg

Here it is again with my little Rapala fillet knife.

fishing037jpga.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • fiver29
    Huh. Just when I thought there weren't any more toys for my grills you go and post that :lol::lol:

Looks like I'll be picking up a filet knife in my near future if everyone likes the salmon later today. I haven't tried my hand at the salmon because I don't really care for it. But my wife loves it. So I figured I'd give it a go. For her.

I tried some and its actually not bad. Its a bit salty. Is it supposed to be salty? My wife said it was great. So that's all that matters to me.

Have a great weekend! B)
    Strongsville, Ohio

• fiver29
    Huh. Just when I thought there weren't any more toys for my grills you go and post that :lol::lol:

Looks like I'll be picking up a filet knife in my near future if everyone likes the salmon later today. I haven't tried my hand at the salmon because I don't really care for it. But my wife loves it. So I figured I'd give it a go. For her.

I tried some and its actually not bad. Its a bit salty. Is it supposed to be salty? My wife said it was great. So that's all that matters to me.

Have a great weekend! B)
    Strongsville, Ohio

• thirdeye
    I use the fillet knives when slicing brisket too. The small one is nice for close-in work.

No, the salmon should not be overly salty. Maybe you went too heavy on the cure, or went a little too long on the cure time, or just didn't rinse it well enough.

Don't feel too bad, one of my readers read right past the fact that the cure recipe was good for about 10 pounds of fish..... and used the whole amount on two fillets. :sick:
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• fiver29
    I was thinking the same thing and you just confirmed it for me. Next time I'll go a little light with the cure. I was thinking I was laying it on a bit thick at the time. I looked back at the recipe and cure time was 2-6 hours. I went 12.

So I think it was definitely a combo of factors. Again, the wife simply loves it! She always uses extra salt on everything. So she thinks its just right.

This was a great learning experience.

Cheers!
    Strongsville, Ohio

• thirdeye
    2 hours is more for something like a big trout. For salmon, I'm thinking a 2-1/2 pound side at 4 or 5 hours. Give that a try. A big one can go 8 hours.

Just go real even when you lay out the cure.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~