Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

salmon help

Reeltachy
Reeltachy Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Looking at some recipies on the site. When it says indirect does that mean using the placesetter and a plank. Or is raised grid with a plan sufficient? Thanks,

Comments

• Use a platesetter legs up under the grid then the cedar on that.

Doug
  • Indirect means a heat barrier, yes a plate setter.
    Fire bricks, pizza stone on a wok ring, ect. Aluminum foil is not a heat barrier.

Mike
  • The plank will work fine as an indirect barrier :) .Indirect is just having a barrier protecting the meat from the "direct" fire ;)
  • Thanks to all. I figured I needed the plate setter but a little unsure. I did set it up that way and heating at about 375. Hopefully in an hour I will have some nice pics to share.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    The real lesson here is that everything cooked on the Egg or otherwise can be done a multitude of ways. Trial and Error catering towards your preferences will get you to where you want to be.
  • FWIW- Salmon filets are a great tasting, easy cook.

there are a myriad of variations to this but here is a basic method that works and you can expand upon it as you see fit.

direct, 400, skin side down.

check in about 12 minutes.

if meat temp is above 125, you can pull it off at any time. I usually go closer to 130. if I wait till 135 like the cookbooks say, it usually winds up overdone.

My youngest daughter loves salmon this way with no seasoning whatsoever. I like to cook mine with DP Ragin River and a drizzle of maple syrup- which is surprisingly good on Salmon!

You said you wanted help with Salmon so there's my two cents.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Salmon is such a short cook, almost anything can give you an indirect cook. A simple pan works fine,

DSC07818a.jpg

Or a pizza pan wrapped in foil

DSC07138a.jpg

A plank

dsc01345aL.jpg

Or a pizza stone

DSC03867a.jpg

And by the way, if you get high enough in the cooker, you can go direct.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • aluminum foil is a decent enough radiant heat barrier. it will reflect radiant hit back to the source.

home insulation, foil over resting meat, the blankets they give marathon runners...

lump heats the air, but also emits direct infrared heat, which foil blocks 100%. it's also thin enough that the foil itself can't really get hot enough to then give off it's own radiant heat.

i use a rough 'tray' of foil sometimes instead of a platesetter, and it's performed fine
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    cooking on the plank is indirect. no need for the platesetter, though it may help keep the plank from charring.