Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maple Butcher Block Top

Options
Moboy
Moboy Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
I'm in the process of gathering materials to build a table for my large BGE. What are your thoughts on using a Maple butcher block table top? I have a 60"L x 30"W x 1.75"H butcher block in my basement and wonder how it would hold up outside in the elements. Table will be located outside under an eve with cover.

Comments

• hutchybones
    Options
    I think that would make a great table top! It would be nice to know if it was made to actually be used as a kitchen counter or for actual cutting and wet use. If so, you could assume it was made with waterproof wood glue. (most wood glue used for furniture is not) I would suggest you sand it down and oil it every day for a week, every week for a month and every month forever. Use a high quality mineral oil intended for wood cutting boards. The mineral oil you can buy in the drug store for a laxative ain't quite the same! (It'll work, but it's much thicker and doesn't penetrate the wood as well) ;) Can't wait to see pics of the finished product! :cheer:
  • ric3677
    ric3677 Posts: 278
    Options
    It may just be me....but after having a wood top for a week or so....I realized that nothing less than granite would be sufficent. The crude left over after cooks makes any wood top look bad in no time at all.

Just my opinion.....Rick in Mt.