Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's a good way to cook clams?

Options
Meat
Meat Posts: 233
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A friend is bringing some clams over tonight and would like them cooked on the Egg, in the shell. Anybody have any suggestions? I was thinking in a wire basket til they open then tossing in a butter sauce. Sound about right? First time doing shellfish on the Egg. Thanks.

Comments

• Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Options
    Crack them open and use them for fish bait. Then cook the fish. :laugh:
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    My way is kinda like Ross in Venture. I like to place in a cooking container, white wine, butter, parsley, cover and steam 'til they open. Then either eat with garlic bread or mix in some heavy cream and then toss with linguine pasta and parmesan cheese and garlic bread. Don't forget to save some wine to wash it down with.
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Just wondering, what kind of clams?

I have never cooked clams on the egg before but if they are big enough and will not fall through maybe roast them right on the grid till they open. Melt butter for dipping and keep it simple. Maybe . . . a cold brew . . . sounds good.

Gator

• brklynbbq
    Options
    The white wine way is classic and delicious, though I have never done it on the egg. You could also toss some onion and chorizo in that cast iron, brown it, throw some parsley in, throw the clams in and stir them around, throw one beer in (two if there are a lot, not too much though, they'll release juice and you want that stuff to boil down and concentrate...I found Tecate or modelo especial is the right middle ground, not too light, not too bitter), close the lid an simmer till they open. Throw some fresh parsley on top, and watch them get decimated. Don't forget the bread for dipping, and the rest of the beers.

Also (we have a great fish guy, so we're well versed in this every sunday) you can just toss them straight on the grill, or on a cooking sheet. Once they open up, throw a few wood chips on to get a little smoke to them. Amazing. Works for oysters too. Get some lemon, make some tartar, get the Louisiana hot sauce, tabasco, franks red, what ever else you want to give them a little hit of, and slurp them down. IF they are really fresh, this may be the way to go.

Enjoy!

a