Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Downsides to the XL?

RogeM
RogeM Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
About to pull the pin and get my first egg. I am used to cooking on a 22" kettle and a 22"wsm so the XL seems to be the one for me. Is there any reason not to get the XL over the large? One thing i havent been able to confirm is if the XL has the removable ring allowing you to lower the cooking grid lower. Does that feature make a big difference cooking steaks or other high heat tasks?

Comments

• I love my XL. Owned it for about 2 yrs now. You can remove the fire ring and lower the grill, but there are some after market items you can purchase that makes the XL more versatile. The lump reducing ring from Tom @ ceramic grill store. I also use the hanger and put a lge cast iron grill on that to sear steaks, that get lower to the fire, but lump puts out so much heat you really dont need to get lower. Just my .02 worth. If there is a downside, cooking for 1 or 2 ppl, the XL is alot of cooker to be using. I would get a small or a mini to go along with it, for the short cooks or 2nd heat source.
  • Higher lump usage and slightly fewer accessories are the only things that come to mind.
  • RogeM,

Don't get my comments wrong, I love my XL. I got it after the first large and there have been some improvements made.
    Low dome height
    Bands can distort on high temp cooks (I don't have the newest band and hinge design)
    Some complain about the weight of the dome.
    A lot of fuel for small cooks.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    It all depends on the type of usage you need. I have a XL, LG and Medium and my preference is the large. With the ability to have multi-tiers of food on it, it can handle as much or more that a 22" grill.
    As mentioned by others you will have more lump usage and less accesories with the XL. If you just have an occasional use for large quantity cooking a large can handle it for you.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    How bout the overall weight of the whole darned thing? Keep in mind, BGE introduced the XL in order to attract buyers who thought the large just isnt big enough.
  • More lump usage likely wont bother me (i cant see it being anywhere close to what i am burning now on webers) but if i am looking at doubling my heatup time that wont be so fun. Another thing that has been comming to mind is that the large wont take full racks of ribs without cutting them. All the responses in such a short time has been awesome thanks guys
  • Bacchus
    The Large WILL take full rib racks, three simultaneously in fact. And that is just laid out flat on the grid.
  • CBBQ
    Yep. They did. My problem with the XL is that with the lower profile may not allow me to stack the food as much as the lg. The xl has a bigger grill for direct cooking though. To me it all goes back to the type of cooking. For what I do I get more bang for the buck with the large. For others I'm sure the XL is the only reasonable choice.
  • CBBQ
    Scroll down to the post "BB Ribs on rack or grate" by SteveIn TN and click on the response by RossInVentura. It show full slabs of ribs on what I think is a large.
  • RogeM,

There is talk of a new XL to come out next year that has the same dome geometry as the others. I don't know for certain that is true but if I were buying right now
    I would give that serious consideration. I need another egg like I need another hole in my head but I will order one when they come out.

STeve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    you'll order which?..a new egg or a new hole in your head? :whistle:
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,736
    for some of us the lump usage does factor in. first few years with the large cooking most days of the week, was over 400 pounds lump per year for me, you may find you use the egg more often than those webbers. you will probably also find that what you egg is diffent than what you typically cook on the weber, i think most of us found that we dont need as much grill space as we used to. an example is 7 unsplit chicken breasts fit in a large in one layer, enough for 7 to maybe 10 or 11 people, you need to grill more you can double it with another rack or you can just threow 6 or 7 chickens in the large and feed a good sized crowd, bigger crowd gets 30 or so pounds butt and brisket in the large, more in an xl. something also to consider is that second egg your going to buy down the road ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP,

I'm saving the hole in my head for my birthday. :laugh:
    Although my wife might give me that when she sees the new egg come in.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Weight of the XL is an issue but I don't think you are going to pick up a Large and walk away with it either - like you can a small or a mini. I have moved my small and mini around a lot. To move the XL, it needs to be taken apart - done that too.

I can't really compare to a large because I have only cooked on them a few times. I suspect a large would satisfy most of you requirements and you would be happy with either one. Lots of folks will suggest getting a large along with either a small or mini (flexibility in cooking at two temps/set ups) for the same cost as an XL - I think that is an eggcelent suggestion.

Not trading my XL in for a large though.
  • Bacchus
    The new Larges come with a built in "Hand Truck" if you will, and even without that you can easily move them with a standard hand truck and strap.

Steve, there was a conversation at Sparkys a few weeks ago about the new XL's with taller dome, debating about whether one could retrofit the newer dome to an older base..... food for thought.
  • It is heavy, but with the gts removed and the dome taken off. It can be moved around by one person.
  • Ron,

I think the reason they used the shorter dome was the weight. I think the whole band mechanism would have to be redesigned and maybe even have some hardware embedded in the ceramic.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I hope this reaches everyone on the thread... if not, one XL egger will do, I suppose.

You all will be helping me settle a bet of sorts.

A friend got an XL after experiencing the wonders of my medium (I have much less space). He has been using briquettes most of the time, and using a chimney starter to get all the coals going. I was skeptical, saying that the first thing I read was no briquettes (unless desperate) and that all eggs were the same, one starter in the middle, vents open, boom- 10-20 later you've got you're temp. Maybe a few starters if you are going for high temp. But grilling (getting some char), smoking, fish, whatever... adjust the vents and top closed.

I feel like my buddy was essentially making the XL a $1200, 200 pound weber.

He said the XL was different, and my medium wasn't the same. I didn't say anything because I know the etiquette of one man and another man's grill.

For the record, what he made was delicious, but I wanted to know if there really was that great of a difference in the eggs.
    Also for the record, and regarding the question of this thread, I feel like the Large is what I would get, as a family of three that BBQ's a lot for friends. The XL was just huge. Awesome, but huge. Although if used correctly, perhaps the lump charcoal would last longer. ;)

Any insight would be great.
    I'm going for al pastor this weekend.

a
  • While the are different they are still the same. I could not imagine using briquettes in either my XL or my Lg unless we were ravaged by a hurricane and I ran out of lump and that was all that I could find. The XL is an awesome cooker but so is my large. I use the Xl for big cooks mostly on the weekends but my large is my go to Egg. I have one kid left at the house making us a family of three and unless I am doing a big cook the large is plenty. The Xl is great for big briskets and ribs and doing large amounts of direct grilling when the large just doesn't have the space. There are so many options available for the large to increase the cooking area. If I were in the market looking for my first Egg I would go with the large. It would be an excellent compliment to your medium. I love having the ability to cook at different temps and cooking the entire meal on the Eggs. So unless you do a lot of big cooks and a lot of entertaining where massive amounts of direct real estate are needed I would go with the large.

Your friend must not know what he is missing by not using lump. The flavor is completely different to me.