Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Thirdeye Salmon Question

fiver29fiver29 Posts: 602
edited 1:34PM in EggHead Forum
Back in May I was here asking a lot of questions about smoking salmon. I've decided to 'hot smoke' some salmon around 180°. I want to thank thirdeye for all his helpful hints and suggestions.

I do have a couple more questions as I'm going to be 'hot smoking' on Friday.

First, I cut off the skin so I could remove the blood line. Then I didn't see one. Is that normal?

I oiled and seasoned the skin and put it back on. It didn't exactly fit. It did fit for the most part. Just not around the edges even after I tried stretching it. Is this normal?

And finally, I am using Thirdeye's recipe including cure. It still smells great in here right now if you are wondering. Anyway, do you smoke indirect or direct? Looks like by one picture its direct on a raised grid. Just wondering. Thanks!!!

reference:
http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
[I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

Comments

• thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Can't wait to see the finished pictures.

Sometimes the blood line is not as obvious, especially in younger fish or in farm raised fish. If you start skinning it from the tail, you can go about 2 inches, then fold the skin back..... and if you don't see one, don't go any further. Here is some wild steelhead, see how the blood line stands out after smoking? I didn't want to risk removing it because the fillet is so delicate, so I left it as-is.

DSC07453aaa.jpg

Usually the skin fits back on pretty well.

If I have low enough fire, I prefer to smoke raised direct. The next option is some sort of a heat shield, and the third option is a pan full of ice cubes below the fish. The forth option is to wait for the weather to get just right... about a foot of snow and temps in the teens always works good.

DSC01185a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • fiver29fiver29 Posts: 602
    Those pictures look great!!

I rinsed the cure off this morning and back into the fridge it went on a rack. I plan on leaving it until tomorrow morning. Then I'll 'hot smoke' it.

I picked up 1 3 lb farm raised Atlantic Salmon at the store. It didn't smell and was firm to the touch. I figured it would make for a great test batch. I did notice this morning your pieces are all roughly the same size from end to end. I picked a piece that's larger on one end than the other. Next time I'll try to get a more uniform piece I think.

How do you get the salmon off the grill? Since I cut off the skin I'm not sure how to get the whole thing off without breaking it into pieces. I'm thinking 2 spatulas at each end perhaps?

One more thing, I've got to wait for the wife to come home so I can find my camera. I couldn't find it this morning. I'll take some pictures when I find it.

Strongsville, Ohio

[I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

When I'm working with a whole side, I trim the belly strip and usually cut off the tail. This gives it the unimorm look. The belly is extra fatty and makes for excellent snacks during the cook. The tail is usually thinner, so it will get done earlier. It will be good the first day, but it actually develops a better texture by the following day.

Make sure you spray the skin with oil (Pam will work too) and oil the grates. After about 30 minutes slide the fillet back and forth on the grate to make sure it's not sticking. The fillet will be fairly firm but two spatulas will work out fine

DSC08136a.jpg

DSC08141a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• fiver29fiver29 Posts: 602
    Ahh, ok! Makes sense and looks good!

Once I get my camera and I get it going I'll post some pictures for some feedback.

Thanks again!!
    Strongsville, Ohio

For a little more eye appeal, you can soak red and green peppercorns in hot water for 15 minutes and place them on the fillet before smoking.

td3DSC06996.jpg

fe687265.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~