Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs direct on open fire in closed egg?

gregegg
gregegg Posts: 68
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can ribs be cooked direct, with all the grease falling into the fire? Does it make a mess of the interior of cooker (figuring 230-250 degree fire about)?

Can you open and turn the ribs every hour or so, if you minimize egg open time?

Is there a good thread about ribs on a direct fire?

Thanks.

Comments

• BamaEGG
    BamaEGG Posts: 170
    Greg, although I have not personally done it I think there are a few guys here that have. I have been wanting to try them direct though.

Lately I have been finishing mine for the last hour of the cook direct at higher heat to get a good caramelized crust on them.
  • gregegg,

Yes you can do them direct. Best to get them higher in the dome. I do side bacon (pork belly kind) direct.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Thanks. Doing it late would reduce the drip nicely. Had not thought of that.

How do you cook the ribs before the direct cooking starts? Any time covered in foil? Or all indirect? What temperature range do you aim for during that direct cook period?

Thanks again. Good idea. Hope somebody writes back who has blasted away :~)
  • go to the seach forum and type in what you want, great information

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• gregegg,

If you meant that for me, you can just do them direct at 250 for 5 hours or so for babybacks, six or so for spares. I don't usually wrap in foil. If you do them dirct you may want to spray with apple cider vinegar or apple cider or a mix of both. Do it through the top vent about once an hour.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    i cook them at 225 direct alot. this butt cook shows the details, dont fill the box with lump, you dont need too much. one thing that helps with this cook is a weed burner to get a more even burn down deep in the egg, it helps get more burning and decreases the chance of a fire going out, with ribs i use about half whats shown in the butt cook. if you have difficulties keeping the temps down, stand the ribs in a rack, if not lay them flat on a raised grill, the higher from the fire the better
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=507801&catid=1
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Steve,

Thanks so much. I appreciate the advice... I don't like ribs tender... want to have to fight and chew!

This should do it.

Greg
  • Great help! I will try direct both for my next ribs and my next butt.

And get a MAPP... I'd never caught a reference to that before.

I saved the pictures so I can get back to them!

Thanks.

Greg
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    the butts just easier going inderect and theres no noticable improvement. i do like ribs cooked better direct though. theres a recipe posted by cat that used to cook ribs direct, its a good one to try. no sauce on these, just lots of flavor. you want meaty ribs, and dont cook them too long, they will fall apart, experiment, cut a rib off every 45 minutes after three hours and sample til you figure out what to look for.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_recipes&Itemid=71&func=detail&id=118
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BamaEGG
    BamaEGG Posts: 170
    indirect 225 degrees in a rib rack (next time I will try them flat) for 5 hours spraying the ribs every hour after the first three with a mixture of apple juice and apple cider vinegar. Then direct on a raised grid flat at 350 degrees flipping and basting with BBQ every 10 to 15 minutes depending on how they are cooking for one hour or until done.

Did this Saturday and they were the best I've cooked.
  • Little Steven wrote:
    gregegg,

Yes you can do them direct. Best to get them higher in the dome. I do side bacon (pork belly kind) direct.

Steve

Steve, one more question please. When you say higher in the dome, are you talking about 'up to the rim' or 'above the rim'?

For instance, the Woo? or the Woo with extender?

Thanks again.

Greg