Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Breakfast on the Egg?

Bob V
Bob V Posts: 195
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Mostly breakfast is a rushed "out the door" kinda thing, but with the holidays coming on there may be visitors and time to put something together.[p]For those who really want to show off, what kinds of breakfasts has anyone fixed on the Egg? I know, here in NC if you are really serious it is never too early for barbecue, but for all the other regular folks, does anyone have any special breakfast Egg eats?[p]Bob V

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Bob V,
    I did a concoction last year at Eggfest, and plan to similar again this year, that goes something like this....I pre-ccoked, 1# bacon, 1# sausage roll, approx. 1# ham that was smoked on the egg...I warmed up a wok directly on the main grid and added all the meats to preheat them...I then added some butter and dumped in 2 dozen eggs that I semi mixed up in a bowl, just kept stirring and mixing until done, then put in a big pan to serve and topped with about 1# of cheese ( I used mild cheddar ) It seemed to go over well in the brisk morning air to have some hot breakfast....just something simple and quick to let the drinking begin earlier..LOL...[p]Wess

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    WessB,[p]That breakfast cassarole sure hit the spot last year! Here's a pic of it with all the other Eggfest Photos...[p]We're already looking forward to Waldorf in May...! Can't wait to see you and Sally again.[p]Tonia
    :~)[p]

[ul][li]Eggfest 2003 Pics[/ul]
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Bob V,[p]I cooked egg and cheese biscuits this year at eggtoberfest. It turned out great (well, that what people said).[p]I cooked it all on the egg, including the biscuits and eggs. I used a pizza stone for the biscuits and aluminum muffin tins for the eggs, add cheese towards the end of the cook. I would also add mushrooms, bacon or anything that suits you![p]Smokey
  • JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    If you want something super simple, here's what we have done on Saturday mornings at BBQ contests. Take a can of "wop" biscuits (we use Pillsbury Grands) and bake in the Egg on a cookie sheet at 350° indirect until golden brown. Remove biscuits to warm place, set up Egg for grilling and cook up a center cut ham slice or a few slices of country ham and make ham biscuits. These are really tasty for something so simple. I got the idea from John at BGE central.[p]Jim
  • Bob V,
    I have no idea who fixed them, but the grits (with all kinds of Q'ed stuff mixed in) at this year's Eggtoberfest were wonderful.
    Dave

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Bob V,[p]I've had two really good breakfasts on the egg lately. Both involved biscuits...[p]The first one was a treat that Smokey served at Eggtoberfest this past October...he used a plate setter and a pizza stone and got the egg hot (500° or so). Then he took some store-bought biscuits in a can (though I'm sure you could make them if you have a favorite family recipe) and cooked them 'til they were nice and brown. Then he took one of those disposable muffin tins and filled each section about halfway with scrambled eggs. Added some cheese to them (and here you could add most anything else, crumbled bacon or sausage, tiny cubes of ham, onions, peppers, etc.) and then put them on the egg. Watched them til they rose and filled the cups and weren't runny anymore and then served them up on the biscuits...[p]These were REALLY good and so easy...![p]The second excellent breakfast I had off the egg recently was this past weekend at the Plant City contest. JSlot took some thin sliced country ham, cooked it up on the egg, cooked up some biscuits and then combined them. I wasn't sure if I'd like an eggless biscuit but these were so YUMMY they made a believer out of me for sure. Thanks, Jim for sharing them with me...![p]QBabe
    :~)

• Bob V,
    Breakfast links and patties are delicious grilled in the Egg. The Lodge cast iron pizza pan makes a perfect BGE griddle for frying up bacon, eggs, hash or anything else you would normally do on a stovetop. My favorite though, is Bird's Nests: Mix up a french toast batter, tear a 1 1/2 inch hole out of the middle of sliced bread, dip in the batter and place on a hot buttered griddle. Crack an egg into the hole in the bread, grill til it stops sizzling then flip and cook the other side til it's done.[p]Cheers,
    C~Q

• Bob V,[p]Yesterday I did a variation on a recipe from Riechlin's (sp?) "BBQ USA" called "Ugly Tacos". I am doing this from memory, and my spelling sucks, so please forgive me.[p]I first roasted some jalapenos, tomatoes, onions, garlic, and cilantro on the egg. Pureed them together in the food processor, and then fried them in garlic-infused olive oil, to make a picante salsa (this was so good I could have just had it on some chips and been happy). Then made some Pico de Gillo out of some more onions, peppers, tomatoes, and cilantro. [p]The recipe calls for marinating a steak in salt, pepper, and chile powder with some lime juice for 30 minutes, grilling it and cutting it into thin strips (I didn't do this as I has some steak cooked and cut up into strips in the freezer).[p]Brush both sides of some tortillas with melted butter, and grill for about 30 seconds per side. Warm some refried beans and spread onto the tortillas. Scramble some eggs with some of the salsa. Put the egg mixture on the tortillas, followed by some more of the salsa, some pico de gillo, and the steak strips. Serve.[p]I am not big on eggs for breakfast (or any time) but this stuff was great. It was a little more work than I would normally do for breakfast, but it was worth it…the book suggests it for a brunch, unless you are really "hardcore"
    [/b]
  • Mr. Hyde,
    The thing of it is, you gotta have a good healthy breakfast in you just to have enough energy to read all them insructions, never mind do all that work. Sounds more like a good late lunch to me. My Momma always told me never to marinate my meat before noon, or was that my liver?[p]Chhers,
    C~Q

• Citizen Q,[p]Yeah, and I wrote the condensed version! As it was this weekend, I had nothing to do but mess around in the kitchen and patio. I actually read the recipe, defrosted the steak, and made up the salsa on Saturday in anticipation of Qbabe returning from Plant City. Instead, she visited with family down there, and ended up staying the night, and wasn't here for breakfast. [p]So I ate it all myself. What a pig I am!
  • drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Mr. Hyde,[p]I meant to thank you Mr. Hyde for the loan of your lovely wife to handle egger relations for the Bonemokers in Plant City. I hope you can join us too next time. We had a blast.
    [/b]
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Glad you enjoyed dem biscuits, Tonia! It's a Saturday mornin' ritual at contests for us now! LOL![p]Jim
  • drbbq,[p]I hope that I can make it to Lakeland in January. I would love to see what these competitions are really like. Judging from Tonia's reaction, she must have had a great time, she has been positively jubilant!
  • drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Mr. Hyde,[p]Here's a picture of us getting our trophy.

[/b]
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Bob V
    Bob V Posts: 195
    Great replies all! I had to wipe the drool off my monitor![p]Thanks - Bob V
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Citizen Q,
    You aint lyin. Maple link sausages cooked on the small, raised grid direct at 250 with a little apple or cherry wood. They get all golden brown and bubbly, when the juice starts fixin to bubble out dey is ready.[p]Your french toast/egg birdnest sounds killer. Especially at 8:40am when the kids just got on the schoolbus and the house is dead quiet. Wish I had me some maple links to go with.[p]Beers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Bob V,
    My wife has cooked this for breakfast at the last three Eggtoberfest and every Christmas morning at our house.
    Larry

[ul][li]Potato Breakfast Casserole[/ul]
  • drbbq,
    It looks like everyone was a winner that day!