Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Here are some of our new favorite non-beef burgers: Italian Turkey Burger, Grilled Tuna Burger and Goat Cheese Portobello Burger. You’ll want to perfect these before football season starts up in a few weeks! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Shady competion judging.......MAYBE?

Midnight SmokerMidnight Smoker Posts: 273
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Not going to name the comp yet, but there seems to have been a little stink in the air. Have done this comp for the last 5 years and this has never happened. 25% of the chicken entries where DQ'd for being undercooked. I was one of them and I probed all my pieces with my Thermopen and all the reading were over 170*'s (over cooked in my book!). I brined and smoked for 2 hours....then cranked up the heat and glazed for 8-10 minutes.

Just a bit pissed because we would have taken Grand Champ and at least another $700. We took second in ribs and 3rd in set-up.

There were6 KCSS judges and 2 "celebrity judges". Do all the judges have to confirm the undercooked piece? Does 25% sound like a large number of DQ'S?????

Thanks and sorry for the rant, Paul

Comments