Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BB ribs rack vs flat on grate

Options
SteveinTN
SteveinTN Posts: 232
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
what do you prefer

i normally cook 3 racks of sams ribs flat on cast iron grate. tonite i used a SS rack. They took longer to cook.

In general what do you suggest a rack or two shelves. I am preping to cook more than three racks.

hope everyone had a wonderful labor day!!!!!!
- steveintn

b40d1877.jpg

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I do three racks at a time, laid out flat on Porcelain Grid on LBGE. For more than the 3 I would do in advance and warm in the oven.
    I don't see where a CI Grid would be advantageous or affect cook times.
  • SteveinTN
    Options
    so do you cook them flat on the Porcelain Grid?

if yes, is the Porcelain Grid a BGE accessory? I cook excllusively on the Cast iron grid.

If no, what type of rack do you use?

THANKS
    steveintn
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    I'm a flat on the grate guy.
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    DSCN2770.jpg
    I cook six racks of baby backs on a grid and a raised grid. Works great!

Ross
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    Got to go with Ross. I got a homemade extender just like he does that I use on my Medium. I like'em flat as I can shake extra rub or spray a little "special" moisturizer on them easer and it stays there reather htan running off.IMO
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    JL,

Do you have a pic handy of your rig? I'd like to see how high in the dome you go and with what size grid so I can build one. Don't like cookng ribs on the rack.

Thanks!!!
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    The porcelain grid is the one that came standard with your egg.

Great pic Ross.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    I bet you can get a minimum of four levels if you take the fire ring out. Maybe five since the XL dome is vertically challenged. B) I have done four on the XL - no ribs touching vertically or horizontally.

IMG_4376800x600.jpg

You can pick up some appropriately sized racks at a big box store and start stacking with nuts and bolts. If you are a "foiler" or tend to mainpulate the ribs a bunch during a cook, you won't like it. I mist occasionally but don't foil and don't move them around.
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    Got that just fine - thanks. I was wondering/interested in if ole JL built and extention from the felt line into the dome on the medium to get his rack of ribs laying flat 'cause I'm thinking there isn't much room on that 15 inch grid for much more that one rack cut in half. Therefore I'm interested in the length of the bolts and size of the second grid.

Thanks!