Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Turkey - Timing question

WJS
WJS Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am going to try smoking a turkey this year for TG and looking for any info and/or help I can get.[p]Biggest question is timing. I've got a 13 lb bird and I'm trying to guess when I need to start. Dinner's gonna be late (almost 7PM), so I can't aford to not have the bird ready in time.[p]Planning dome temp about 225, indirect, drip pan, brined bird. Should I plan 1 1/2 - 2 hours/lb on this (19-26 hours seems awful long), or is there a different guideline for turkeys?[p]Any help appreciated.[p]Thanks,
John

Comments

• Wino
    Wino Posts: 69
    WJS,
    Did a practice bird today. Did not smoke it, and it turned out great!! 10.5 lb bird @ 325-350 for 2 h 40m to 180 in the thigh with no wood. Indirect on a V rack with a drip pan. 15 minutes a pound worked for me. Marinated it over night in Fosters BBQ. Fantastic and moist. Looking forward to Thursday and an 18 pound bird.
    Ron

• WJS,
    You could try just cooking it in the egg at 325 just like it was in your oven. It should cook in about the same time as it would in your oven. You can get plenty of smoke flavor just by roasting the turkey at this temp with some smoking woods in the fire. Personally, I'd rather go for the simple approach if this is the first try.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • WJS
    WJS Posts: 54
    The Naked Whiz,
    Yeah, that's my fallback if I'm not certain of what I'm going to do. I've done a couple of long cooks (butt & brisket up to almost 18 hours), thought I'd check and give this a try if I'm comfortable with the procedure.
    John

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    WJS, at 250 it is about 25 minutes per pound , at 225 it might take 30 min per pound.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    WJS,
    IMHO, I would recommend cooking the bird at 325-375. There is not much fat on these birds, and lo-n-slo is problematic. If you put the bird on cold (right out of the fridge) right at lighting the lump with chunks or chips over the lighted parts, and slowly raise the temp to 350, the bird will be well-smoked. It should take 12-15 min per pound. Have fun.

• WJS,[p]I have used the "Smoked Super Buzzard Turkey" recipe several times with success. It's in the old recipe section of this web site. Smoke at 250 and time for 25 minutes per pound. [p]Enjoy the turkey and the trimmings. [p]Green Q'r