Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meals for the kids on the egg

JerseyEgger
JerseyEgger Posts: 315
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have any decent kid friendly recipe's for the egg. My kids aren't into the stuff I normally cook on the egg. Does anyone have any recipes like mac n Cheese, Chicken Nuggets, etc. fo a 5 and and 7 year old?
-Eddie

Comments

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Hmmmm... How about hot dogs stuffed with their favorite cheese, chicken tenders on skewers (perhaps breaded for a bit of crunch), and Zippy's "porcheesy poofs" for starters (3 pages back). At that age they're probably not big eaters so I'd keep the servings small so they can enjoy a little of each. Good luck to you! 8 - )
  • Thanks for great suggestions Rascal!
    -Eddie
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    And I'm sure that grilled pineapple slices with ice cream and/or other toppings (candy bits, M&M's, shaved chocolate, crushed nuts, coconut, etc.) will have their tongues wagging! Grill the pineapple and let them be creative with their own, self-styled dessert!
  • Let them participate

Hot dogs
    hamburgers - sliders using hawaiin rolls
    small pizzas - put out the ingredients and let them make their own
    chicken nuggets on hawaiin rolls

Have they ever helped bake cookies, brownies? Remember you can bake on the egg.
  • I like the pizza thing that F in H said. Try small flour torts, set out the sauce & all the fixins & let them dress their own pie. Let them use a pizza peel etc & watch them cook their own pie. Egg indirect with plate setter and pizza stone about 350-400. Pie ready in about 4-5 min. You are the superviser of the project keep em safe.
    I love watching the kids at work dress their own pie and chowing down and clowning around. Have fun & Smiles to all.
  • yes we do the pizza thing and let them build their own. they love it. just looking for something a bitt different.
    -Eddie
  • Smores, cookies, monkey bread any thing that can be cooked in the kitchen will cook on the Egg. Here are a few recipes for cookies candy and other sweets.
    http://www.northpole.com/Kitchen/Cookbook/
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    My sons fav is pulled pork. My 7 yo daughter likes hamburgers best, she also likes chicken breast with pineapple head on it. I have done lots of pizzas (frozen even). I have done chicken nuggets on a pizza stone. chocolate chip cookies have gone over great also.
    IMG_8201.jpg
  • How bout calzones? Easy to pick up and eat, and you can use any fillings they like. Kids love anything that comes in a package, you can make them smaller if you like.

Here is one I made on the mini, my son loved it. It was sliced meatball and mozzarella cheese with tomatoe sauce.

P7180924.jpg

P7180929.jpg

Another time I used canned refrigerated biscuits and made mini pizzas or calzones out of those. Here are some I made with pesto sauce, grilled chicken and cheese.

P4290089.jpg

Also use Frank in Houmas recipe for stuffed fritos, using your choice of fillings. Use the search box above and type in stuffed fritos. My kids love taco meat. Here are stuffed fritos:

P6270682.jpg

And these are stuffed Scoops:

P6090535.jpg

Ask them what they would like to try and let them help. Have fun with them!!

Faith
    Tampa
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Isn't this forum the best? All ya' gotta' do is ask!!! If you want to please adults as well, try fajitas - steak and/or chicken. My kids loved them the first time they tried them (in a restaurant) at about age 6 and they now are their first choice when I ask them what they want! ( and they are a lot older now!!) :laugh:

I just made them tonight using a variation on this recipe

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_recipes&func=detail&id=1113

Awesome!!