Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza questions/advice

Options
claycamp
claycamp Posts: 59
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
About to go pick up pizza stone from my dealer. are there any "Grandpas Grub" type post that could give me some tips hints.

As always thanks for yall's help

Comments

• FearlessGrill
    Options
    Hi Clay,

You'll be really happy with your stone. Pizzas, bread, etc. work great in the Egg. I did 12 pizzas yesterday for a party, and they came out great.

A couple of quick pointers:

1) Don't put the stone directly on your plate setter. It will get too hot, and you may scorch the bottoms of your pizzas. I usually set up with my plate setter legs down, and then use the little ceramic feet that came with the Egg to hold the stone on top of the plate setter.

2) Let the stone come up to temp with your Egg. Putting a cold stone in a hot Egg could lead to breakage.

3) You'll need a way to get the pizzas on and off the Egg. A pizza peal is the right tool for the job. Use cornmeal to keep the dough from sticking to it. If you don't have one, a flat cookie sheet will work too. For small pizzas, you can just life them out with a large spatula. You can also use parchment paper under your pizzas. It won't burn, and makes it easier to move the pies in and out. Some folks here use 'airbake pans', which you can get at a Wal-Mart or Target.

I tend to cook pizzas at a dome temp of 550-600. At this temp, they only take 8-10 minutes to cook. Note that this may scorch your gasket. Deal with it - it will still work.

Here's a link to a pizza write-up on our blog with a dough recipe and description of my technique. I think there's a link to a recipe for sauce that my wife came up with too.

http://www.fearlesskitchen.com/2008/07/recipe-pizza-al.html

Basic%20pizza%203.jpg

Good luck,

-John
  • claycamp
    Options
  • egger66
    egger66 Posts: 385
    Options
    Take a look at AZRP's pizza dough recipe on the forum. Since I started using it, my pizzas have some of the best tasting crust I've had. Hope this helps.