Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Twenty-five and one half hours later…

Gfw
Gfw Posts: 1,598
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
MyBge_small.jpg
<p />Twenty-five and one half hours later... two very nice Boston Butts finished the cycle as Pulled Pork. I put them on yesterday at 1:00pm and today at 2:30pm the temp in both butts hit the 195 mark. We had a late lunch - good stuff :~}[p]A few interesting items about this cook in my Medium BGE.[p]•The two butts totaled about 14.75 lbs before cooking – when done, there was almost no waste other than the bones. Out of the two butts, maybe a cup of at waste/fat to pitch! Another trip to Sams may be in order.[p]•The weather must have been about perfect, after 25.5 hours there were still coals left for a least another hour or two. This is the longest cook on a single load on lump for me to date.[p]•The BGE started at 250 degrees when the butts when on yesterday, and stayed there until I let the temp rise at about 10am this morning. The really amazing part is that my BGE is now 3+ years old and has never had the felt replaced – what a great cooker. [p]Did I check during the night? Yes, I got up at about 2:30am and the temp was still stuck at the 250 mark.[p]Life is GOOD!

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]

Comments

• Gfw,
    You are fortunate! I have never been able to get my medium to go past about 16 hours before all the lump burning out. I even fill with lump to the top of the fire ring.[p]How do you get your medium to plug along so long?[p]Banker John

• Gfw
    Banker John, don't really know. I break most of the rules including using the 'dump and pour' method of stacking the lump. I have an old style cap (rotates but doesn't swivel open) and maybe the felt is gone just far enough to let in the perfect amount of air. [p]Last year, I was going to put on new felt strips and based upon sound advice from RRP, left well enough alone. Wish I could tell you more, but I'm not an expert, only one of those that just like great BBQ! :~}[p][p]
  • chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    Banker John,[p]A big difference for me was to start using "Wicked Good" lump. Before WG I could never get temps to stabilize below 260 - now 210 is routine. And, this lump lasts forever! I cooked 36 hours last weekend, and today after adding a few more chunks I'm into another 24 hr+ Q session.[p]Chuck
  • Gfw,
    I truly am jealous. I guess you just have "the touch." I really would enjoy sharing a meal with you sometime. I'm sure I could learn a lot![p]Thanks for your posts and encouragement. Your web site was the first one I visited when I got my medium. Most of my early success (& failures) were from trying recipes and techniques I found on your site. Thanks![p]Banker John

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Gfw,
    Hi Gordon, I also have my original felt seals on after all these years. :) A couple of years ago I did a 'turbo clean cycle' and it fused my seals together, but I went and yanked it open anyway while still hot and only lost about 90% of my original thickness and what is left is kinda hard and kinda clunks when you shut the dome, but it still cooks fine for me! ;)
    I can still hold 250~ all nite too. (when I'm lucky :)) but really the seals is not a problem that I can see.
    I DID upgrade to the slide top tho, but not the stainless damper. ;)
    later
    ChefRD

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Gfw,
    Sounds like a "good cook". What kind of lump were you using?

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Gfw,
    Sounds like an impressive and successful cook!
    Last weekend, I wanted to show a buddy who is getting ready to buy a large what it could do. I put a 12 pound butt on and let it cook for just over 18 hours. Perfect. When I pulled the plate setter out, I had enough lump left for another several hours for sure. But instead, I opened up the vents, brought it to 750 in about 10 minutes and seared a couple of rib eyes!

• Gfw
    Sundown, Chicago brand - it comes ina red/orange bag. I've been using it for about 2+ years with good results.