Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Primo vs Egg

Options
Auburnegger
Auburnegger Posts: 127
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Would like to know the differences in these two ceremic pieces?

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    I think you will find most people on this forum will praise the egg.

Most people on the Primo board will praise that cooker.

This forum is a huge reason why I decided on my eggs. Sine owning my first I have bought 3 additional eggs.

I would suggest you go to the respective boards and forums take a look. Check on the dealer network, warranty, specs., cost then make your decision.

GG
  • Auburnegger
    Options
    I am sold on the egg but I have a friend in Texas that told me to look into the primo too. Just trying to get opinions from people like yourself. Thanks for the response.
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    You either own an Egg or you don't. That is the difference. What do you think Kent?
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Auburnegger
    Options
    Ha.. simply put. That will be why I am joining this crazy egghead group!
  • bubba tim
    Options
    Eggs-actly :woohoo:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Wanabe
    Wanabe Posts: 355
    Options
    I studied both and spent a month of the forums before deciding on the Big Green Egg.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Another question that comes up about once or twice a month. Asking people on this forum to compare the Egg to a Primo is like going into a Ford Dealer and asking their opinion of a Chevy..

I don't mean no harm, but check out the links 407BGE give you and make up your own mind.

They are both good cookers, but pay close attention to the other guys forum.
  • Auburnegger
    Options
    I have been checking the other sites and I can see what you are talking about.
  • EGGLANDS BEST
    Options
    I went to a dealer that sold primo and BGE he tried to sale me a primo instead of egg even offered to knock off a $100 if i bought the primo then he stated that they are the same they have the same cooking surface and diameter then he said for the price u can't beat it he also said the the egg had a thicked ceramic than the primo needless to say i left there laughing to myself i'm getting my 2nd egg next month at Eggtober fest get an EGG and be happy just my 0.02
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    People that own other brands are going to say they love them and frankly I would think the other brands are pretty good.

I would guess most of the brands would produce pretty darn good food.

My decision was made from the folks on the forum, not their recommendations, rather their love for their eggs. I thought they were all nuts. Now I am one and I know for certain...

My decision to get my first egg was based on:
    1. The folks on the forum
    2. The folks on the forum
    3. The stated warranty
    4. Local Availability

For me, the price was very expensive. What is offered at the fests is much lower than what I had to pay. For a fest setup + plate setter and 'V' rack I paid $1,100.

My other eggs were similarly expensive.

After 4 eggs and my experience my decision to get another egg would be based on:

1. The folks on the forum
    1.5 The tase of what comes off of the egg
    2. Actual need of warranty
    3. The folks on the forum
    4. The stated warranty

Did I say the forum was important to me.

Hope you end up getting and egg.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    LOL. Yup, that is the long and short of it...

Kent
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    My BGE dealer in central Illinois became a dual dealer when George (former BGE honcho who left BGE, formed Primo and duplicated his original Primos even down to the color though now black) drove into town looking for a shoot'em up duel. Well, my dealer said fine and had both on his floor for at least 3 years and only sold 1 Primo. What he learned was as a side by side comparison that most all prospective buyers could decide for themselves which was the superior product! And it sure wasn't the knock off Primo! BTW this summer since my dealer still had not sold the 2nd Primo that George left and wanted to make room on his showroom floor for more BGEs he gave me the Primo to cook on at one of my classes. Trust me - not all ceramic cookers were created equal and I'll always be a BGE man!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Auburnegger
    Options
    Great info. Thank you.
  • Auburnegger
    Options
    Thanks. That is the kind of info I was looking for in the post.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i didn't realize the back-story on primo.

it's one thing to emulate, another to copy. and it's a totally different thing to jump ship and copy. holy crizzap.

i thought it was ford vs. chevy, but it sounds a little more underhanded than that.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • The Primo Grill is first of all "Made in the USA" unlike the BGE which is made in Mexico.

The round shape of the BGE is old school round, the new oval shape of the Primo is much more practicle to cook most items. It also is better for indirect cooking. I am sure BGE will eventually try and change and offer a oval shape grill. But, they will have to wait for Primos patent to expire, or license it from Primo.

Primo does make a round grill, but it is not the flagship, it is for those that resist change.

In my opinion, the black color of the Primo is much nicer than a "GREEN" that BGE uses... :)

I have smoked/grilled on both and they are very comprable. The truth of the fact is that the BGE was first to market, and has a large number of loyal followers!

It is kind of like the Harley Davidson craze, as we all know it is not the best motorcycle but it has a huge following because of it's name.

Enough Said ;)
  • milesofsmiles
    Options
    C'mon Mr. Ceramic...Tell us how good it really is. Want to do a cook off? I'am sure there is an egger close to you who will accept the challenge. It's time you come out of your closet and join the best ceramic cookin site in the world. Smiles to you any how. BGR RULES. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • bubba tim
    Options
    Well, Good Morning Mr Ceramic. You are off to a roaring start of the day with all you trolling and trouble stiring. So let me get this straight, you come on the "Eggforum" and you talk about the virtues of another ceramic cooker. You still don't get it! It is all about the eggheads that own and cook on them. So please go off to your Primo never never land forum and have a safe Labor Day!
  • milesofsmiles
    Options
    Well said BubbaT. Bless you and L. C.Can't wait to meet y'all at Ofest. Smiles to both of you.
  • bubba tim wrote:
    Well, Good Morning Mr Ceramic. You are off to a roaring start of the day with all you trolling and trouble stiring. So let me get this straight, you come on the "Eggforum" and you talk about the virtues of another ceramic cooker. You still don't get it! It is all about the eggheads that own and cook on them. So please go off to your Primo never never land forum and have a safe Labor Day!

Bubba Tim,

I wish to say top of the day to ya'll as well.

First of,f I was reading some of the old posts, and I responded to a question with my opinion. You see if a question is to be answered fairly, it should be answered by someone who has the knowledge enough to answer accurately. People who looking to buy a grill/smoker are researching the topic of ceramic cookers, and they have multiple choices, this is ones natural instinct to see what choice are available and weight out the benefits and features. If every one gives emotional answers based strictly on emotions and not fact. That does no one any good!

Secondly, I think BGE's and Eggheads are great in all aspects. The loyalty and comradeship is second to none. Even the Harley guys have slowly allowed the Goldwings their right of passage.

When will you allow more into the tent? Or is it the shoes that all have to be the same color and brand to come in your tent?

The BGE and the Primo are kissing cousins, and they are both GREAT, but the Primo's oval shape allows for more versatility. Anyone who says otherwise is biased and can't see past their own shadow.

Will anyone help substantiate my post? Or, will it continue on, someday "the emperor will see he has no clothes" simply because people were afraid to say otherwise, then what?

Gooday mate!

But, I am not hear to
  • jagweed
    jagweed Posts: 188
    Options
    i'd say that for the most part they are similar, of course. primo probably had a bit of a head start after BGE developed all the improvements, but primo was clever enough to come up with a different shape.

i've always heard the reson for the shape was to permit indirect cooking, by shoving the coals to one side with a divider, and cooking on the other side. that's great. unfortunately that means you are only cooking on half the real estate. in the BGE, the platesetter allows you to go indirect and use 100% of the grate area.

that's all i know, and i may be wrong. there are probably other indirect configurations in the primo, but i'm not familiar with it.

people always trumpet this forum over another. i don't see the point, since they're both great cookers, and similar enough to each other that i can't imagine they operate that differently.

what i do find interesting, though, is your motive. you actively searched for a primo vs BGE thread, and upon finding one that is over a year old, you decided to jump in.

all things being equal, i can't imagine any BGE owner I know taking the time to visit the primo forum to search for a year old threadin an attempt to get thinsg started. where the hell is the logic in that?

it's great if you like to cook, and prefer ceramic, and just happen to prefer the primo. but spending your labor day weekend cruising competitor's forums for reasons to start sh!t is pretty pathetic.

hahaha

it doesn't matter what you cook on, it matters what you cook. go cook something
  • If you must know why I posted to a year old thread. This post came up in a google search when I was looking for a pizza stone and I used both grills as search words to see what sizes were available. Low and behold, I read it and I made a simple post in response with my opinion. Does this really seem like I am provoking, or are you just a little to much on the defense??

The archive will hopefully will help someone in the future should they have questions. This is not a competition, at least not my intent, but if it were competition, please be open minded enough to not think I am attacking anyone.

I would just like to be the Goldwing amongst the Harley's, or must I stay out of the tent. I am a generic brand, is that ok?

Be well,

Mr. Ceramic (Generic)
  • bubba tim
    Options
    Mr Ceramic,

Now I am a stupid country boy, but I do know that if the sign that hangs on the tent, says "For Eggheads Only", that would be the tent I would enter. I would not enter into a tent that said "Primo Heads Only".
    Now with that said, we are a friendly bunch that love to share our friendship and our cooking talents freely regardless of the type of cooker that one may have. Most folks that join or lurk on the sidelines understand that Egghead are partial and loyal to their BGEs and other Eggheads.

Smart people, when doing research about different brands, don't go into brand specific forums and ask for thier opinion because those forums members opinion would tend to be basis. As for your opinion about the BGE, your in the wrong tent! Would you like to ask me about where your shoes should go?
    Hope you had a great Labor Day weekend with friends and family. Please close the tents flaps as you leave. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • Bubba Tim,

Thank you for kind wishes, and I did have a great Labor Day with friends and family.

I am not sure where the smugness came from, because I only had praise for the Egghead forum. I wanted to learn about Q via some expert ceramic users so be it if they are Eggheads or what have you.

I just noticed during my "lurking" there were a lot of helpful people here, and they share lots of great ideas. I have to say it is a wonderful forum to learn from, sorry to have ruffled your "feathers". I obviously don't meet the criteria being a "generic cooker" and not an Egg!

Kind wishes & happy Q'ing!
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Primo tent is pretty quiet....Go see how the gangs holding up.

Later Dude! B)