Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HELP!!!!

Options
Lill Prophet's Mom
Lill Prophet's Mom Posts: 32
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Had temp steady at 250. Put pork butts on, went inside for about 20 minutes when I smelled something. Went outside and there were flames coming out of the upper vents (even though they were partially closed). Had to use a hose to get the flames down to where I could open the Egg. The outside of my butts are charred. I've close all the vents completely to get the temp back down. Should I take the butts off and throw them away or are they salvagable?

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Options
    was the egg cooking direct or indirect?
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    What was the egg temperature when the flames were coming out of the top??

Faith
    Tampa
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    indirect and flames out the top is unusual. I expected direct cook as an answer
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    I'd try to salvage them.

A little more information would help. Very hard for me to believe that a 250 degree fire would have enough air entering to ignite any grease that dripped off. Would make for some nasty smelling smoke but not flare up like this.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I would take the pork and cut the charred parts off,cut into chunks then make a pot of chili.

Do not waste the pork.

Chili, Pork, BGE Red Neck, Richard Fl

OH, what to do with the leftover meat from trimming pork ribs!

INGREDIENTS:
    4 Lbs. Pork Riblets, Trimming of St Louis Ribs
    6 Lbs Pork, Country Ribs, Bone in
    1 Cup Green/Red Bell Peppers, Chopped
    4 Large Onions, Coarse Chopped
    2 Ribs Celery, Chopped
    3 Tbs. Jalapeños, Chopped
    2 Cans Beer
    2 Bunches Cilantro, Chopped, Leaves Only
    2 10 Ozs Rotel, Original
    4 14 1/2 Ozs Tomatoes, Crushed
    1 14 1/2 Ozs Stewed Tomatoes
    3 Cups Tomatoe Juice
    2 4 1/2 Ozs Can Green Chilis, Chopped
    2 15 1/2 Ozs Can Kidney Beans, Red/Pink, include liquid
    1 7 Ozs Can Chipolte Sauce
    2 Cups Pork/Beef/Chicken Stock
    1 Tbs Red Pepper, Coarse Ground
    3 Tsp Chili Powder, Chimayo
    2 Tbs Pepper, White, Ground
    2 Tsp Cayenne pepper
    2 Limes, Juice of
    4 Tsp Cumin
    3 Tbs Garlic, Coarse, Chopped
    4 Tbs Oregano, Mexican
    Salt/Pepper to taste
    1/2 Stick Butter

Procedure:
    1 Cook the meat in a pot on the stove for about 2 1/2-3 hours. Turn off and when cool, drain the liquid--save some for the stock, and degrease it, separate the meat from the bones and fat. yielded about 6 cups of meat.
    2 BGE 300°F-325°F, indirect, plate setter legs up, spacers under the DO, no top. I prefer to sauté the veggies on the stove, but the egg will work also. 2-3 pieces of apple wood for smoke flavor.
    3 In heavy 9 quart Dutch Oven, saute onions, celery, garlic, add tomatoes, liquids, spices. Cook on simmer for 3 hours. Stir about every 30 minutes so it does not stick.
    4 After 2 1/2-3 hours, add cilantro, pre-cooked pork, beans w/liquid. Cook 2 more hours., may need to add some more tomato juice if it starts to get dry. Add 1/2 stick butter at end for texture.Serve or reheat second day for better flavor. Freezes well.

Yield: 9 Quarts
    Preparation time: 45 minutes
    Cooking time: 5 hours
    Ready in: 6 hours

Recipe Type
    Dutch Oven, Main Dish, Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2008/04/25
  • Nasty smelling smoke and freaked me the hell out!
  • So I shouldn't try to continue to cook it for pulled pork sandwiches?
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    Any chance that was a grease fire from something else cooked on the EGG. Maybe someone spilled a drip pan in there during the last cook?
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    My quess is that if you continued for pp, the burnt flavor and bark would be too heavy a flavoar for my tastes. Chili is my vote.
  • No, I've been cooking stew in a dutch oven on it all day. Is it possible I added too much charcol when I prepared it for cooking the pork?
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    Never been a problem for me, when I do pulled pork I usually fill it plum full. Does the smoke still smell funky? If so I'd pull the butts till it smelled a lot sweeter. No reason to keep them in bad smelling smoke. Still not sure why it did this though.
  • Took the butts off. Looks like the charring is only on the surface. Could I trim the surface and then put them back on or do you think the burned taste goes deeper.
  • Think I figured out why...the drip pan was not completely under one of the butts so was probably a grease fire. Not smelling funny anymore
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    As you can tell from the response, this is highly unusual.

At this point I'm too late to help, but I'm still curious.
    You are using a BGE right? (I'm not kidding, no disrespect intended)

When you say flames were coming out of the "top vents"- is that the same as the petals of the daisy wheel?

You turned the hose on it- why not close the daisy or replace it with the rain cap and shut the lower vent door the way you would snuff out a fire at the end of an ordinary cook?

Once you hosed it down, wasn't the charcoal too wet to burn?

I have had fires from fat and grease igniting-usually when the dome was open. Shutting the dome and closing down the dampers always put the fire out.

I did porkbutts yesterday and the cook never smelled good and I believe it was from the grease dripping on the coals without enough oxygen to flame, so it just smoldered.
  • Just reacted...scared the crap out of me and didn't think about shutting the vents (I know ...stupid). No I didn't get the charcol that wet...just enough to kill the flames so I could figure out what to do next. Fire is still burnng on the Egg (yes, it's a BGE). Am waiting to hear if you all think I can trim the crust off and put it back on.
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    You should be able to trim the charred spots. Depending on how much you take off you should still have enough for a good meal. I'd definitely keep what you cut off and freeze it. Keep it for a chili like Richard suggested.
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    Options
    Like Mike said. There is absolutely nothing wrong with trimming off the charred part and continue to cook it. It'll just be a smaller butt.
  • Ok, we'll give it a shot.Thanks everybody. I was in panic mode about what I was going to serve at my picnic tomorrow if I couldn't serve pulled pork.
  • ONe more question...now that i've trimmed the outer charred skin off, should I put more rub on the butts or just leave them alone?
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    Leave it. When they are finished cooking and you are pulling, you can sprinkle more rub on top of the butts in the bowl. Otherwise just sauce as necessary to make up for any missing flavor.
  • SmokeOrFire
    Options
    I've only had my egg for 5 months, but I cannot imagine how to get yellow flames to come through the daisy wheel with it properly in place, even if the daisy is all the way open, and the bottom vent is all the way open. There just isn't enough airflow to do this.

If the fire is still burning ON the egg, did some flammable liquid end up on it either by accident or by intention? Kids?
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Hope the pork came out OK after all that. :ohmy: You are very lucky you did not crack your egg using the hose on it. cold water and hot ceramics do not go to well together. :pinch: