Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribeye for Newbie

Options
bbq boy
bbq boy Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I will be using my BGE for the first time tonight. I have (2) 2-inch ribeyes ready to put on. I have seen on the forum where many of you have mastered this task.

Can anyone give me the play-by-play to make the best ribeye eggsperience?

Thank you!

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    first of all, welcome. ..this is the place to ask and learn....normally i'd tell you to 't-rex' those steaks, but with all the gasket problems newbies seem to have with newer eggs, lets avoid that. . .so we'll go with a more traditional and straight forward grilling technique . . .most important thing here is that you don't want to overcook those steaks!!. .if you don't have an instant read thermometer, GET ONE!!! .. .most of us have thermompens which you have to mail order, but you can at least run down to your local grocery store and buy a cheapy ...and make sure its an "INSTANT READ" ...this way you can be sure to pull your steaks when they are done to the exact temp you want them. ..

now, prep your steaks. ...got any good steaks rubs... like dizzy pig raising the steaks, or cowlick?? those are great on ribeyes? ...no?? . .ok, then while you are at the grocery buying that thermapen, hit the spice lane and grab some montreal steak seasoning, or at a minimum some kosher salt and fresh black peper to grind on the steak. ...take those steaks, rub a little olive oil on them, and sprinkle some of the aforementioned rub and/or salt/pepper on them. ..

now for your egg ...fill the fire box to top (thats the top of the fire box, bottom of the fire ring) with lump charcoal . .. .when you assembled your egg, you made sure to allign the hole in the bottom of the firebox with with front vent at the bottom of the egg right??? you need to do this for propper air flow!! . .

light your lump in a couple of places using starter cubes or a mapp torch . ..NEVER EVER use lighter fluid!!! . ...close the dome but leave the top daisy wheel off and the bottom vent wide open while the temps rise. ...keep an eye on things cause temps will come up pretty quickly. .. when the temps start coming up through 400 degrees on the dome temp thermometer, put the daisy wheel on close the top slide but leave the little wheel holes open. .. start working the slide to get a temp of around 450 - 500 degrees. ..this will be a good temp for grilling those steaks ...

IMPORTANT INFO HERE . . .when you go to open your dome, there is a good chance for flashback, i.e. big burst of flame coming out of the egg that will singe your arm hair, eyebrows, forehead, etc. . . so carefully open the dome a little and "burp" to allow air into the dome first. ..

now, if you want to this a good time to add a chunk of wood (hickory or oak works nice wiht beef) or chips (i like jack daniels chips with steaks) to your fire. ..doesn't need a lot. ..and put your grid on the egg. . ..give it about 5 minutes to heat up good before putting the steaks on ..(btw, this entire process so far shouldn't take any more than 15 minutes or so from the time you lit your fire to the time you are ready to put your steaks on). ..

at 500 degrees 2 inch rib eyes shouldn't take more than 8 minutes or so per side to be medium rare. .. after the first 8 minutes turn them, then after another 5 minutes start checking them for doneness till they are within about 5 degrees of your target temp. ... pull them from the fire, put them on a platter and loosly cover them with foil....let them rest for 5 - 10 minutes before serving to let the juices redistribute . .. .

good eats. ...have fun. ..
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    That is one great instruction manual, kudos! -RP
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Wow!!

Can I post that on my web site?
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    yeah, i was eating an early lunch at the time and got carried away....go ahead and post away ...
  • bbq boy
    bbq boy Posts: 21
    Options
    Thanks! Great advice. Have the Instant Read, have the wood. Even have the rub!! With your advice, I think the ribeyes will be great. I'll be thinking of you and the wonderful eggers who have made this adventure so eggsiting!

Bless you!!
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    LOL....you know, i haven't responded to a newbie question in a long time. ...figured i'd beat stike and the others to it for a change!! :woohoo:

i think i forgot to post what temps to pull it out at though, guess i'd better go back and edit it really quickly!!
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    good stuff. .. sounds like you are ready to go .. .btw. . .i think i forgot one thing. .. temps. .. .rare is around 125 degrees on the instant read....med rare 130 - 135 med 140 145. ..anything higher than that, give it to the dogs!!! and remember, on steaks that big and thick, the temps will continue to rise after you remove them and tent them prior to serving, so if you want a medium rare steak, pull it when it hits 130, by the time you serve it it will be at 135. ..., etc. . .

good luck and tell us how they turned out.. .
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Now could you explain the inner workings of a combustion engine :huh: :blink: :laugh: :laugh:

Great explanation that should get a sticky post ;)
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    It's getting a place on my wed site :)

Think I will name it - Mad Max on Steaks
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    gee, i didn't think it was all that great. . .but like i said, its been a long time since i responded to a newbie, but he asked so nicely and i had a few minutes, i figured, what the heck. ..and like i said, i'd normally go with the t-rex instructions, but all i hear here anymore is gasket whining, so i wanted him to avoid that misery on his first cook. . .anyways, it was fun to shake the dust off a basic instructional!! . .LOL
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Mad Max on Steaks

Let me know if you want to change anything..
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Will there be a Mad Max Steak hotline??? :whistle: :P
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    I don't think our poor Max would be able to handle that...

Let's just stick to the Thanksgiving and Christmas Turkeys..
  • Boomer
    Boomer Posts: 115
    Options
    I don't think that explanation was a thorough enuf, could you please be more specific... lol

Boomer...