Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burgers for the kids

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Another beginner question. Cooking up some ribs this weekend but the kids want burgers. Should I sear like a steak at high heat and then close down the vents? If I do how long for medium?
Thanks
Big Cat

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Big Cat,[p]Searing them like steaks will give you great results. I sear each side for about 1 min and shut her down for anoth 3 minutes. They come out medium rare and juicy![p]Smokey

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Big Cat,
    Do not just make them for the kids; make sure that you make one for yourself as well. I have recently discovered how wonderful and simple burgers on the BGE are. I would cook them just like steaks: three, three and five. Cook them at 700 plus degrees. The last couple of time that I have cooked them, I have covered them in mustard and JJ’s Rub. I have also added some JJ’s Rub to the meat.[p]As a matter of fact, I think that I am going to call the wife right now to make some.[p]Go Tribe!
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Big Cat,[p]Just to cover the timing issue (if you hadnt thought of it already). The ribs will take about 4 hours to cook depending on how you cook them. Load up the egg with lump, cook the ribs, take them off to rest, then open up the egg and get the fire going. While the ribs rest a few minutes the fire will get to temp, then sear the burgers, I generally do mine at 7-800, 2 minutes a side, then 4 minute dwell. Your temps and times will vary, these are just estimates.[p]Troy
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    That does sound good. Like you, I wanna do burgers again!
    The mustard rub is great on boygas. Time to make up a new batch of JJs rub.[p]Also want to try the low slow smoked burgers.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    I just made the call to the wife, burgers it is. There is one important thing that I forgot to mention, make them burgers thick. If we are out of JJ’s Rub, then I may use Char Crust or that new Lysander’s Lemon Pepper Rub.[p]Go Tribe!
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    Nothin' like a little flEGGsability!

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ