Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Pork Butt 911

CalderCalder Posts: 17
edited 12:26AM in EggHead Forum
I put the pork butts on the egg at 9 am this morning. They each weigh about 5lbs.
I need to serve food around 7 pm tonight. Am I going to be ok? Also, can I baste with my vinegar recipie every hour?
·

Comments

• usc1321usc1321 Posts: 627
    this is what has worked well for me in the past. Wrap the butss in about 5 layers of foil, then wrap that in a thick fleece blanket o towels. Place in heated cooler. You can heat your cooler by rinsing with hot water in the shower for about 3-4 mins. Drain the water out of the cooler and set the buts inside. They stay nice and hot for hours and hours. ;) B)
    ·
  • FlaPoolmanFlaPoolman Posts: 11,670
    At 250 dome it's a close call if they will be done and if you keep opening the lid to baste they almost definitely will not be done
    ·
  • will a higher dome temp for the last hour help?
    ·
    you can increase temps after it goes through the plateau or foil at the end if you really need to speed it up
    ·
  • Thanks. How many hours does it take to "go through the plateau"?
    ·
    every one is different. Of the 2 I have on right now larger one went 4 hours and the smaller one is just coming out at 5 hrs. both are a little longer that usual but a butt is done when it's done.
    ·
  • usc1321usc1321 Posts: 627
    OOOOpps... :ohmy:
    I guess I miss read your post. I thought they were done already. :blush:
    I would go with 250-270 dome temp and you should be okay. It will be close. Once they pass the plateau you can bump the temp up to around 275-290 to speed them along. Good luck ;) B)
    ·
  • BeliBeli Posts: 10,751
    Jeff...........hi there buddy............just wanted to say hello..........hope we meet in Atlanta. Take care!!
    ·
  • LunaCLunaC Posts: 18
    Just jack the dome temp up mid cook to around 325-350 for a while then ramp it back down. For the last hour or two you can foil it if there is a decent bark.

Forget basting, they are self basting with the fat and moisture content + rub
    ·
  • I agree completely with Luna. You'll be fine.
    ·