Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron grate warrantee

Carolina Q
Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night's TRex temp (max 650) appears to have been more than my 2 week old cast iron cooking grate could stand. Took a look under the hood this morning and found a 5" piece of it laying in the coals. One rib and a section of the perimeter. It has never been dropped or hit.

Is this typical? Is it covered under the warrantee? Thanks.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• typical ? Yes.. many of us have cracked or broken C-I grids, including me,, i do not know about warranty.
    as long as it is functional i would not worry AND the missing piece provides a convenient spot to add wood chips with out having to remove the grid.
    ~thirdeye~ actually cut out a section on his so he could do that!
    bill
  • SGT BBQ
    SGT BBQ Posts: 190
    My first cast iron grate cracked on my first cook so I exchanged it for another one. Then the new cast iron grate cracked on its first cook. I have cooked on the cracked grate ever since and it has worked great. So if the cast iron grate is still useable I wouldn't worry about it. I've noticed that once it cracks it doesn't seem to get any worse.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    If it were me, I would want a replacement. However, if shipping cost are incurred that may tip the scale back to just dealing with it.
  • Carolina Q
    Thanks. I'll call my dealer and see about getting it replaced. As for adding smoke wood, the "hole" is too small for anything but chips or very small chunks. Just doesn't seem right that this problem should be so widespread - especially after so few cooks (and only one at high temp).

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Well, you heat the center intensely but not the outside ring of the grate and POW. It's called "strain relief". :(
  • ewillie
    ewillie Posts: 155
    Where did you all purchase your CI Grates? Thanks, Erik
  • B) got ours from BGE dealer, never had a problem!
    Love it!!
  • Cast iron is by nature brittle and fast heating and cooling can result in cracks.

Probably a gradual heating of a grate would help. But continual heating/cooling will probably result in cracks of any grate, seeing as it is thinner metal.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I agree with you in principle, but in the BGE CI grate it's the design with the outer cirlce causing the stress. This grate I made 9 years ago can move as it expands and to this day has no cracks.
    IMG_00851.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Erik, I bought mine from the dealer when I bought the Egg.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• ewillie
    ewillie Posts: 155
    Thanks, I'd like to get one, I suppose the best risk is the BGE version, my dealer is pretty good to me here in Columbus, OH. Thanks again, Erik
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Like anything that breaks, simply take it back to where you bought and get a new one.