Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fresh or Frozen?

Options
Nu-Guy
Nu-Guy Posts: 136
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just hung up the phone after speaking with my favorite butcher shop. I ordered a fresh brisket (my first) which I will pick up tomorrow or Saturday. He mentioned he had frozen ones but not fresh. I wanted fresh, but then I thought, "I wonder if there is really a difference?" Any thoughts from the eggsperts on this issue? Fresh or Frozen?[p]Nu-Guy

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Nu-Guy,[p]If it were me, I'd stay with the fresh. Our local Wal Mart always has fresh cryovac packed briskets for anywhere from $.69/pound on a good sale to $1.09 a pound everyday. They have a nice fat cap and are always good IMHO.[p]FWIW, the software that we develop is designed for public cold storage warehouses. It's an inventory/billing/accounting system that tracks whats in the warehouse, when it needs to be shipped, what temp it needs to be keptat, how and when it needs to be billed etc. This BLEW ME AWAY when I heard it but hamburger patties, if frozen at the proper temperature, can stay in a warehouse like that for YEARS according to regulations. Poultry and other meats have APPALLING storage times as well, again, all if frozen the proper way and stored at the proper temps but PLEASE, thats disgusting.[p]Just a FWIW bit if info., I'd stay with the fresh if it at all possible.[p]Troy
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Nu-Guy,
    If it comes down to whether or not you cook a brisket, try the frozen. But, like Sprinter says, fresh is always best. Maybe your butcher could get on the phone and get a fresh one for you, or you could find another buthcer.[p]If frozen is all you got, go ahead and cook a brisket! It will be a whole lot better than no brisket.[p]The freezing will probably change the texture sllightly, but I bet it is still excellent.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy,
    Well, like Sprinter said, fresh it is. I did have my butcher order a fresh one and that was no problem for him. I'll pick it up tomorow afternoon. Told him I wanted a nice fat cap. :)

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Nu-Gy,
    Beautiful. Fat caps work wonders!
    I have had good luck (again a Cat tip) scoring the fat before marinating, or mustard slathering, or rubbing. Cut diagonal lines about 1 inch apart thru the fat (just to the meat), and criss cross em. Allows more flavor into the meat, and doesn't seem to hurt the effects of the fat cap as a self-baster.[p]Just a thought. Happy chunk-o-chest!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ