Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you had a hoppy Easter and are ready to spring into warm weather cooking mode! There’s nothing better than spending time outdoors with the sweet aroma of fresh cooked Ribs. Baseball season is also underway, so it's the perfect time to try out some chicken wing variations! We have Jamaican Jerk, Lemon Pepper, Fired-Up Wings and even a Whiskey Onion and Chicken Steak if wings aren't your thing. Bon appetit!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Pork Butt 911

CalderCalder Posts: 17
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have 2 pork butts that are 5 lbs each. With the 1 hour per pound rule, am I going to have to smoke for a full 10 hours?
·

Comments

• If they don't touch, they will cook at the rate of one butt. So 2 - 5lb butts will cook around 7-8 hrs at the 1.5-2 hr/lb rule. Set the egg around 250 and cook them.
    ·
  • Thank you. Do you use a V rack with drip pan or put the butts right on the grid?
    ·
  • I have cooked 5 lb butts at 250 dome that took 14 hours to get to 200 internal temp. They are done when they are done.

P.S. I have never had a butt cook shorter then 12+ hours regardless of the size.
    ·
  • I put a drip pan on the platesetter and the butt on the grid (no V rack).
    ·
  • Now you have me a little concerned. I will put on the butt asap, but I dont have 12-14 hours to play with. I guess I can always raise the temp a little towards eating time.
    ·
  • Any more advice from the Eggers signed on right now?
    ·