Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Your job and the egg

JerseyEgger
JerseyEgger Posts: 315
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am curious if any of you use you egg regularly during the week after work to cook dinner...
-Eddie

Comments

• I do. Most of the time I am able to load the mini with lump and set one of the fire cubes to light it.
    While the fire is lighting/ spreading, I end up taking a shower so it ends up being ready just in time.
    I usually grill chicken breasts or steak for such short time.
  • EgginRN
    EgginRN Posts: 102
    My indoor kitchen cries for attention. BGE can do it all. Look forward to getting off work to cook on it. I've owned my egg a little over a month and I have used 40 lbs of coal.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    the answer is a simple - yes many of us do - though I myself am now retired. Maybe I'm reading between the lines here but I see you own an XL so perhaps to you that is too much hassle and uses too much lump so you don't want to fire him up. There are many ways to get around that issue - though the easiest is to buy another smaller egg.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Just about every night. If I take something out of the freezer before I leave in the morning then it is not much longer if any than a reg grill or the oven. I light as soon as I get home and then go finish prepping and getting the food ready. a baked potato takes an hour whether it is on the gas grill or oven or the egg :) now tonight was nice, I got home from work and Neil had dinner ready and a cold beer in my coozey :0 I think since we got home from FL in May I have used my oven 3 times and the stove only for reheating something or steaming. I have a bamboo steamer for our eggs in fl and love that. egg/oven/egg/oven aren't they the same thing ??? the med egg has peach cobbler on it right now mmmmmmmmm
  • I am not opposed to it at all. I just haven't done it. I would LOVE to get a smaller egg. I'd never hear the end of it though. Grrrrrrr.
    -Eddie
  •  
    Yup, probably an average of 4 days a week, the other days are usually heating up egg left overs.

Sometimes multiple meals a day.

I haven't used the oven in the last 60 to 90 days. Stove top less than 10 times in the last 60 days.

Even do grilled tuna & grilled cheese sandwiches on the egg. Just as quick and tastes better. Everything is low calorie when done on the egg.

GG
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Never!!!!! I only use mine 6 or 7 days a week
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    I only use my egg(s) 4-6 nights a week :blush: Many times,I don't get home till 6:00 or later,but still find time to fire up an egg or two :woohoo: ;)
  • RRP
    that's kinda the problem - most times a guy can buy a large and a small or at least a large and a mini for the price of an XL and have far more versatility. Instead some guys say "me wantum biggest one made" and then realize it takes a lot of lump to use all that real estate! Perhaps if you plan in advance some night you can try egging after work even if you end up eating a little later - or are there young ones to feed shortly after getting home? Tell us more and I'm sure you'll get more suggestions. Good luck!
  • i rarely cook inside ... i have a gas burner from cabellas next to the egg for pasta taters and boiled vegetables ,, unless we are using the nuke for leftovers the egg is smoking .. only time i use the oven is christmas cookies
    bill
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    I work in a kitchen so I don't cook after work during the week (at home). I just got a mini and have been bringing that to work and having everone's lunch on that.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Use our mini most every evening.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    6-7 days a week here and many weekends are multiple cook days.
  • So it seems most of you have multiple eggs. As RRP points out I only have the XL. Is it really much of a difference. Obviously it takes longer to heat up, but outside of that why so hesitant on the XL for weeknight cooking RRP?
    -Eddie
  • I usually cook bigger cooks on the large over the weekend. The leftover lump I save in a can with a lid and use that for the mini and I use the mini during the week after work.

for cooks with less lump, you could buy a firering for a mini and use that to place your lump in the XL. there are cheaper options for keeping your lump together, but if you get a mini later, you can use the extra firering to give you a raised grid. If your wishlist is aiming at a small. get an extra firering for a small instead.

If you're used to a gasser, it's a lot more tricky cooking on the Egg after work but I used to cook on my large a few times a week. See if you can get home a little early or set it up the night before. It takes longer than a gasser but just plan around it.
  • WORK???? Ha, that is what retirement is about. :laugh:
  • "Look Dear, our new smaller Egg. Sorry, I promise I won't do it again!" :whistle:
  • Camano
    Camano Posts: 134
    Remember it’s easier to get forgiveness than permission
    get the mini
  • So it seems most of you have multiple eggs. As RRP points out I only have the XL. Is it really much of a difference. Obviously it takes longer to heat up, but outside of that why so hesitant on the XL for weeknight cooking RRP?
    -Eddie
  • Bash
    Bash Posts: 1,011
    I generally cook on the egg 2-3 nights after work. I use either the XL or medium, depending on what I am cooking. I have found the XL heats up as fast or faster than the medium. The XL want to roar (vent and DFMT have to be more closed down on the XL than the medium).

If you are worried about lump use with the XL, get the lump reducing ring from the Ceramic Grill Store - just got mine and cooked with it Thursday and Friday (after work :P )

Richard
  • GREAT suggestion!! Thanks!
    -Eddie
  • LOL!! You sound like my old neighbor in PA!! He would tell me at least once a week when I'd get home from work how he went golfing, etc. He'd say "Hey, Ed did you know I was retired?" in a smart ass way!!! LOL!!
    -Eddie
  • Yes,yes and yes. In the fall threw spring I cook 4 or 5 times a week. Always make sure plenty of lump for next cook before shutting down. Spray the grill front side, back side, holding from on end, swap ends and spray front side and back again. Any place that doesnt have non stick spray will be pill to clean. Toss in a plastic water trough while eating and clean up a breeze. Don't do complicated cooks working. I work 12 hrs, shift. Get home at 16:30 and get up at 2:20 so I have to have it down to a science to get any sleep! :laugh:
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Since I don't work anymore (retired), I do all the cooking now. Wife loves it. I egg about five times a week.
  • RRP
    excuse me...why am I hesitant about the XL? Guess I don't get your point. I was trying to HELP you - not slam you! If you bothered to check my profile I own 4 eggs - what you don't see there is I have won 2 large eggs and donated both. Do I want an XL? Nope! Do I need an XL? Nope. I was just trying to help you. Good night.
  • WOW, why did I deserve that? Ummmm you were the one that said the XL fuel consumption is the problem and that I could have gotten a Large/mini for the same price. SO you seemed hesitant on using it for weeknight cooks.
    -Eddie