Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Pork Butt 911

CalderCalder Posts: 17
edited 5:49PM in EggHead Forum
I have 2 pork butts that are 5 lbs each. With the 1 hour per pound rule, am I going to have to smoke for a full 10 hours?
·

Comments

• If they don't touch, they will cook at the rate of one butt. So 2 - 5lb butts will cook around 7-8 hrs at the 1.5-2 hr/lb rule. Set the egg around 250 and cook them.
    ·
  • Thank you. Do you use a V rack with drip pan or put the butts right on the grid?
    ·
  • I have cooked 5 lb butts at 250 dome that took 14 hours to get to 200 internal temp. They are done when they are done.

P.S. I have never had a butt cook shorter then 12+ hours regardless of the size.
    ·
  • I put a drip pan on the platesetter and the butt on the grid (no V rack).
    ·
  • Now you have me a little concerned. I will put on the butt asap, but I dont have 12-14 hours to play with. I guess I can always raise the temp a little towards eating time.
    ·
  • Any more advice from the Eggers signed on right now?
    ·