Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole Turkey

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I would like to solicit opinions on cooking a whole turkey at 225 or at 350. This is the first time I have done a whole turkey on the BGE and need some advice as well as afew good recipes. By the way the turkey is a 20 pounder.[p]thanks

Comments

• UnConundrum
    Options
    The Goodkid,[p]Turkey isn't my strong suit, but I will share that low temps didn't work for me at all. My guess is that we're dealing with such a large piece of meat, that it will dry out as it cooks so long. I've compared 225 cooks to 325, and found the 325 to be a much superior product. Now sit back and see what some of the turksperts say ;)
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    The Goodkid,
    I treat my BGE as an oven when I do turkey. So, I cook the bird at 325 until it reaches the right internal temp, adding a little bit of wood for smoke.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • I totally agree. When I first got my egg, I worked for 2 days getting my turkey ready. Then I cooked it real low and slow (hey, it works for pork!) and just knew I had nailed it. I'll spare you the details on how dry it was. Let's just say we consumed record amounts of gravy and cranberry sauce. Since then, I cook that baby at 325-340 and keep track of internal temp. I take it off at about 165-170 and tent it under foil. It will rise to about 180, which is just right IMHO. A winner every time![p]Char Dawg

• The Goodkid,[p]how long should it take per pound at 325?[p]thanks,
    skeetfool[p]

• skeetfool,[p]From what I have read it is 15 min per pound at 325. If you do it at 250 it is 25 min per pound.

• LOG
    LOG Posts: 85
    Options
    The Goodkid,
    I did a 13 pounder last night. Indirect at 350 with a drip pan. Pull off at 165 breast temp. or 175 in the thigh. I used a little Hickory but be carefull it sucks up smoke like a sponge. My wife did not think it was done because the amount of juice that ran off of the plate. This was the most tender Turkey I think I ever ate.
    Good Luck!
    Jeff Bouchard

• Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    Options
    LOG,
    How long did it take to reach those temps?[p]Nessmuk

• LOG
    LOG Posts: 85
    Options
    Nessmuk,
    I was expecting 4-5 hours at 20 min to the lb. But the thing was done in only 2.5 hours.
    Jeff

• BillyT
    BillyT Posts: 29
    Options
    Char Dawg,
    Do you use a meat themometer that is "in place" the whole time you are cooking? The electric type with the readout, or do you open the egg and use a quick read them. by sticking it into the thigh or breast?

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,770
    Options
    The Goodkid,there is a recipe in the bge recipe section that i like with bacon onion and herbs blended and placed under the skin. i have cooked turkey this way at 235 and it comes out real moist with the bacon basting the bird during the whole cook. when slow cooking turkey i use a water pan with wine and chicken stock and stuff the bird with apples and oranges. towards the end of the cook raise the temp to crisp the skin. it is very important to monitor the breast temp and not let it go over 165. i smoke this with a small amount of cherry wood. make sure to light your fire and let it burn awhile before putting the bird in the egg. the bird will soak up any sooty smoke like a sponge.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ChefFubar
    Options
    Billy T,
    Do yourself a great big favor---buy a Polder thermometer with timer. I recently bought several for gifts from Amazon.com for $19.95, throw in an extra probe for $7.00 and shipping is free (orders over $25.00). This will allow you to cook without guesswork and opening the egg.[p]Opening the egg is o.k. for quick grilling, but little else---maybe hamburgers or vienna sausages.[p]Thermometer probes are fairly delicate, so I recommend a backup.

• For turkey, I use a Polder type thermometer that is in place for the entire cook. I don't like to open the gril unless I have to.

• frankief97
    Options
    I have a Large BGE and cooked a 21 lb turkey unstuffed at 350. Was at temp, 165 in the breast, in 2 hrs 30 min. Cooked a lot faster then I was planning. Cooked indirect with a tray of apple juice below the grate with the turkey in a disposable roaster pan. Let sit for 1 hr. Tasted great

• frankief97
    Options
    Here's it 2.5 hrs later