Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Shoulders

Options
Peggy
Peggy Posts: 122
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last weekend was able to get 3 large shoulders (Costo package) on my egg. Took 13 hours to reach 195. Pulled it and gave it to my son for his NAU care package. Was he a happy 21 year old. This weekend, I would like to do 4 large shoulders (Costco packs of two...so you know how large they are). Has anyone ever put 4 large shoulders on their large egg? If so, can you send me a picture of your set up? I plan to make a huge batch of hatch green chile with my smoked pulled pork! Someone sent me a picture of 5 shoulders on their egg, but they were little ones. Thanks fellow eggers.

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Do you have a raised grate for 2 on each level? If not just arrange them so the lid will close without the dome thermometer touching the meat. If they are crammed together it will increase the cooking time but they also will shrink as they cook.
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    Hi Peggy,
    My bushel of Hatch Medium Hots turned out to be wimpy extra mild :angry: ...have you eaten any of yours yet??
    Hate to see a great big batch become a big disappointment like mine was :(
    from neighboring New Mexico
  • Peggy
    Peggy Posts: 122
    Options
    I just came home with 30 pounds of roasted Hatch Chilis - Hot level. They have some bite. The flavor is excellent however. OK...the butts are going on the Egg for overnight cook! I hope I can get 4 on, but it may only be three.

ps...I wish I knew how to upload
  • Wanabe
    Wanabe Posts: 355
    Options
    I just started a cook tonight with four shoulders on a large. Three fit flat on the grill and the fourth fits on it's side in the middle. I did 7 on an XL two weeks ago and laided two on their side and they turned out great.

Try the bone in shoulders from Sams club sometime, I like them better.
  • Wanabe
    Wanabe Posts: 355
    Options
    Here is a picture of 4 butts(25lbs)on a LG

4buttsonalg.jpg