Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about new egg

Options
RPA
RPA Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello Eggheads! I'm new to the Egg Head Forum as I only got my Egg today! I'm plenty eggcited, but I'm kind of puzzled about part of my new Medium size egg. As I was assembling today, I was struck by how diameter of the fire ring was much smaller than the inside off the Egg and it got me wondering. Is this right? Shouldn't the ring just barely fit in there? I know it fits much tighter on the Large Egg they had in the showroom. On my Medium, there is more than 1/2 inch of space all around the fire ring and the wall of the Egg. I'm concerned that as it heats up, and the draft pulls the air in from the bottom vent... it seems like the air will take the path of least resistance and just go up the sides of the fire bowl and ring and maybe not feed the fire like it's supposed to?. On the Large it seemed to fit nearly tight and so all the air coming in would be for the fire. I just read on the Forum that some owners had trouble getting the Medium to reach high temperatures. Should I be concerned about this, or is it a non issue?? This puppy was not cheap and I want to make sure there's no problem BEFORE I fire it up and the dealer considers it "used". Thanks for hearing me out and I'd appreciate any response - even if it's "hey man you're crazy, start cooking" Thanks eggsperts!! :) RPA

Comments

• Boss Hogg
    Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    Options
    RPA-Welcome to Eggdom! I have two larges. In the one I got about a year ago, the fire ring fits perfectly. In my newer egg, the fire ring is much smaller in overall diameter. The good news is that both eggs seem to cook the same as far as I can tell. I think you're good to go! Good luck!
    Brian
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I might be slightly concerned too, but Id fire it up and let her rip. If something is ill fitting, BGE will take care of it. It may be nothing.
  • Wanabe
    Wanabe Posts: 355
    Options
    I have personally assembled over 30 eggs of all sizes and yours sounds like it is within tolerances. I use a mini, two lgs and an xl and none seem to care about the fit of the internal parts. Go grill and enjoy, BGE will cover you if you have problems down the road.
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    I have owned a medium for a couple of years and would say there is the same gap you described. I can easily hit 700+ and go low and slow. You are going to love what that medium will do to your food!
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Your Medium sounds just like my Medium -- and I have no problems with it.

Enjoy -- The "gap" is nothing to worry about.

~ Broc