Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston butt = pork butt = pulled pork???

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I must be dense, but are these the same but have a colloquial spin since posters here are spread across the country? Momma kat came home with a 5# pork butt, which the butcher said he cuts "pork steaks" from. Do we have the right cut for doing our first pulled pork? ^oo^~

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    one feral kat, If it says Butt, then Yup!! Usually 5 to 8 lbs in weight with a nice fat cap on top.
    Good luck..C~W

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    one feral kat,[p]You got the right stuff. Last week I bought a pork butt, about 8 pounds. When I got it home and started rubbing it with my spices, two pieces fell off the end of the butt, nice pork steaks about 3/4 inch think, butcher must have missed them. So, I rubbed them down with some spices as well and put them on with the butt. The butt went on early in the am, by lunch time the pork steaks were done and the butt was done later that night. Worked out well. Good luck with the butt, they're good eats.[p]I think in the archives you'll find the explanation of the reason they call them Boston Butts. I found some information somewhere, I'll see if I can find it and put a link to it just FYI.[p]Troy[p]Troy
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    sprinter,[p]Found it, just FYI. [p]Troy
    [ul][li]Why is it called a Boston Butt?[/ul]
  • Unknown
    Options
    sprinter, I appreciate the BB anecdote. Someone some time ago posted a site with a diagram of a cow and later a pig showing from where the cuts of meat come. Do you or someone else have that? This time I will bookmark it. Thanks in advance! ^oo^~

• AbqEgg'r
    AbqEgg'r Posts: 91
    Options
    one feral kat,
    Here's the link: http://www.nppc.org/CONS/cutsFAQ.html[p]I'm still confused; It shows the cuts as the shoulder and the picnic. I was under the impression that the picnic was what most people used, but just read a post stating otherwise. Which cut does a Boston Butt come from?

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    AbqEgg'r,[p]Just about anything above the picnic can be labeled "Boston Butt". The butt is usually cut from the meat around the shoulder blade / socket.[p]Ashley

• Calder
    Options
    I have 2 butts that are are approx. 5lbs a piece. With the 1 hour per pound rule, am I going to have to smoke for 10 hours?