Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini question

Options
NoVA Bill
NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone done a lo and slo butt on a mini - or is the small lump area just to restricting on cookin' time?

Needed to ask 'cause you just can't assume anything on this forum - if you know what I mean. :P

Comments

• StoicDude
    Options
    I did a slab of ribs on the mini.
    I took out the fire ring and put a small fire brick in there.
    I wrapped the firebrick in aluminum foil and placed the grate on top of it. The wribs were wrapped, in a circle and standing up.
    I cooked on 275 for about 2 hours, then had to replenish some coals, because the temp was dropping off and couldnt be worked back up.
    Refilled some coals and cooked for another 2 hours on 275.
    My guests didn't complain and ate the whole slab, so I assume they were good.
    I am sure if you find a butt that fits on it, it shouldn't be too hard to do. The only problem is having enough coal to burn for the duration of the cook (if you don't want to replenish), but not too much so that it burns up the food or is hard to regulate.
    Good luck and report back.
    I plan on making a brisket on the mini if I find one that will fit. Raley's, here, sells some small briskets. It looks like they cut in a couple of pieces, so they are smaller.
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    Thanks for the comments.

I'm sure someone on the forum has cooked a butt on the mini or tried. Don't necessarily have to do a lo and slo could cook at a higher heat but would eat up the lump.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    I wonder what would happen if you put a butt in a mini, opened the lower vent wide open and the top slighly open, then but the mini in a large at 250 or 350......t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    Guess the large would cook the butt inside the mini. But why except to say you did it :silly: :)
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    not pulling you leg,

just wondering if minimizing the daisy opening on the mini's would act to enhance the moisture inside the mini and produce a better butt. similar to a dutch oven in the egg but greater insulating ability. t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Why not put a ceramic or terracotta in the large and give it a try. Something like Alton Brown did on his show.

I would think putting a mini in the large would get the mini pretty smokey.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

I can get about 4 hours of steady heat out of the mini before having to reload the lump.

GG
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Did some ribs in the mini once. I loaded to the top of the fire ring and used a homemade platesetter. Smoked for 6 hours but I overshot the temps early. Think I could get closer to 8 hours if I was careful at the start. Put my DigiQ on it after it was started.

Platesetter
    IMG_4894800x600.jpg

Wibbies on da mini
    IMG_4943800x600.jpg
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Yeah its possible. Might smoke a mini butt tomorrow. If I do I'll take pic's and we will see what happens.
    Today has steak and po-taders on the menu.
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    Got it - thanks!
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    That would be great. I need to do one butt for my boy at VATech (Go Hokies - beat Bamma! :evil: )Looking fwd to your post, I want to try it for grins anyway. Can always reload when needed. The second butt that come in a Costco package will be cured for BBB then I'd like to smoke on the mini too.
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    One thing I don't want to jeopardize is the bark, that's how I get paid for for making pull pork ;)
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    ;) pork sirloin roasts are about 2-3#s each (have found packaged in long tubes, about 6 chunks). Used for BBBacon, really worked well. Might work for pulled pork, could probably fit 2 easily, and even try wrapping in :ohmy: bacon :blush: . Just an eggdea B)
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    Nice eggdea. Did the BBB come out more like Canadian bacon or butt bacon?
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    texture more like Canadian, but taste and color more like BB
    let it "dry" a about 24 hours as suggested by Little Chef, and took about 3 hours to reach temp...kept very well whole (slice off what's needed), then froze while away from vacation, thawed and used again...no problem with spoilage at all!
    Kari