Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New bad boy toy

Options
Sooner Egg
Sooner Egg Posts: 578
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
fianlly broke down and bought a torch, a Bernzomatic TS4000 :woohoo: .....any tips, secrets, dos or dont's would be greatly appreciated......also how long(approximately)can I expect the fuel tank to last when using about 3-4 times a week?

Comments

• I your "Bad Boy" a Mapp by any chance.I have been using a Mapp torch for a couple of years. One tank of that has lasted well over a year and I use it three to five times a week. Before that I have used most all the diffrent ways of lighting but the Mapp is by far and again the best thing I have ever used. Bucky Buckshot
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Buy some extra shirts.

Light in a couple of places.

If you find your torch seems to go out when lighting get a little fan to introduce more air into the top of the egg.

fan.jpg

The lump will also light faster and burn less MAPP, which won't make a lot of difference. One tank will last a very long time.

GG
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    Michael, I've been using the same Mapp gas canister for I'd say 3 or 4 years! I don't use it 3 or 4 times a week, because most of the time I only cook for myself and then I'm stuck with eating it for a few days if it's a bigger piece of meat.

One thing I learned is letting the torch cool off for several minutes before storing it back in the plastic patio box, because the hot tip will melt whatever it touches.

Judy
    San Diego
    Judy in San Diego