Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wine Storage for Marinades

Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought a botlle of white wine (the drinking kind) to use as cooking/marinating wine. The label says if corked tightly, it is good to drink for a week. How long is it good for using for marinades????[p]I put the vacuum stopper that comes with the foodsaver, and vacuum sealed it, but bubbles were rising to the surface for quite some time. Do you think vacuum sealing helps or hurts??[p]Tnaks
Just over a week! Eggfest fever.
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• Eponda
    Eponda Posts: 21
    Nature Boy,Refrigerated it will keep for several weeks for cooking purposes. However,wine "gone bad" can be an interesting ingredient for marinades if it becomes wine vinegar. IMHO, the only wine to cook with is one you would drink as well.

• Bama Fire
    Bama Fire Posts: 267
    Nature Boy,
    Pour any "excess wine" (I never seem to have any), into ice cube trays and freeze into cubes. I very simple way to save wine for cooking that you would normally pour out.[p]B~F

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Nature Boy, I agree with Eponda regarding the quality of wine to use for cooking - we have kept (in an unrefrigerated state) open (but re-corked) bottles of white wine (the red never lasts that long) for several weeks with no problem - I always taste a little before using to make sure that it's still good.

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Nature Boy,[p]If you would drink it, you can cook with it. Generally a refrigerated white will keep for a few days after opening, reds as well. Oxygen is the evil critter here. Just as an open beer will go flat or a tapped keg needs to be drunk, wine oxidizes as well. Its the oxygen that causes the problem. Thats why bars/homebrewers tap/pressurize their kegs with CO2. Once oxygen is added to the mix it all goes downhill. If you want to keep a keg fresh at home, get a bottle of CO2 and the fittings to attach it to the keg and you can keep it fresh as long as you need to. Using those taps they give you just pumps the keg full of air and thus causes it to go stale.[p]Troy[p]Troy
  • BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Nature Boy,[p]Use however much the recipe calls for, then store the rest in your belly! :-)
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Nature Boy,[p]""I bought a botlle of white wine (the drinking kind) to use as cooking/marinating wine. The label says if corked
    tightly, it is good to drink for a week. How long is it good for using for marinades????""[p]I have a liver marinading in mostly red wine - its been there about 30 years now. In all that time, I haven't seen a bottle of white (or red) last more than a week before someone had to get rid of it. No use letting it go to vinegar. Whites go faster than reds and old whites (more than 2 years back) will go the fastest. Refrigerate and your good for a week.[p]Tim the wine-o[p]

• Nature Boy
    All Y'all,
    Thanks for your responses. I don't drink much wine, and am kind of ignert there. A few weeks max huh? Bummer. Do they add stuff to the "cooking wines" that you buy? We always used it for months, stored at room temp! But never tasted it before using for cooking. I have heard the drinking wine is better.[p]I guess it is time to start drinking wine![p]Thanks again
    Struttin with eggfst fever.
    NB[p]

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Nature Boy,[p]Cooking wine is horrific. Cook with a wine that offers the flavor sought as that is the flavor you will wind up with (drinking wine). Whether used as a marinade or in a recipe, it is noticibly better when used freshly opened.[p]As a simple test, make pizza sauce using a freshly opened bottle of good flavored white wine. Wait a couple of weeks and then do sauce again using the same bottle. The difference is quite noticable.[p]Spin[p]

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Nature Boy,
    Quit obsessing - just drink the wine.... JCA

• Nature Boy
    Spin,
    You speak words that make total sense.
    Too bad they don't sell smaller bottles!
    Thanks
    See you soon[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    J Appledog,
    Looks like I am gonna have to! I like wine, but usually drink beer and ale. The times, they are a changin', though. Self-marination with wine is in my near future.[p]Thanks...and Cheers.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Nature Boy,[p]Cooking wine - yuck -- ppppttt!
    I am waiting for Mrs Spin to jump in with the info on Box-Of-Wine. [p]Oh well, I'll tell you. In the wine section you will find boxed wine. Yes, boxed wine in a bag. Sounds weird but its really not bad and it keeps a really long time (for those who can do that). I have had some for about a month (I don't drink much white) with no problems and I bet it would go more. Your stuck buying a liter I think but its good to drink and it lasts awhile. Air is what turns wine to vinegar and the professional places and fancy resturants will replace the air in a bottle with nitrogen to stave off the wine turning from oxygen exposure. That is hard to do at home so the box with a bladder bag inside works better than anything I have tried to extend the wine from turning. [p]Ahh, next -- types of wine. [p]Tim

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Bama Fire,
    What is this 'pour out' stuff?
    JimW

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Nature Boy,
    You would not believe what they put in 'cooking' wines. Always remember, if you can't, or won't, drink it, don't put it in something you eat.
    JimW

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Nature Boy,
    Naked Mountain is a good place to start. Drive down to Markham, to the Naked Mountain Vineyard. It would be a lovely trip at this time of year and you'd discover some likes & dislikes. As a Christmas giftI received several bottles of a very good Chardonnay that they produce. Bone appétit! Julie

• Nature Boy
    J Appledog,
    Thanks. That is close to here. The Blue Ridge foothills. Less that 40 minutes.
    I'm there! [p]Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Tim M,
    I am still wondering if my food saver vacuum sealed bottle top will keep it longer. I have been resealing it with each use. Just used a whole bunch in the ginger mahogany marinade I mixed up for tonights ribs. [p]It is supposed to help....I guess I will see.[p]Future wino.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com