Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Coming to Atlanta for EGGtoberfest? Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340 - NOTE we are CLOSED on Saturday OCT 10th for EGGtoberfest.

a different long cook

CutletCutlet Posts: 7
edited 2:38PM in EggHead Forum
Its football season and am looking to do a long cook on Saturday. Long being anything over 2 hours. I'm looking to do something different as I seem to always do butts, ribs, and brisket which are all great but want to do something else. Let me know. Thanks!

• Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,938
    Pot of chili or gumbo will work.
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,700
    Pulled beef is pretty good. Big hunks of chuck, lo-n-slo, with some foiling. I've not had any quite as fall apart as pork butt, but still shredable.

Also, corned beef soaked for 48 hours, then covered with pastrami spices makes a really fine sandwich. Steam the slices before putting on bread.
  • vidalia1vidalia1 Posts: 7,091
    Wings...cook them at 275 -300 indirect for 2-3 hrs so they are nice & crispy and have maple bacon wrapped tater tots cooking above the wings for the last 40 minutes or so. That way the bacon drips on the wings...OMG.. :silly:
  • Try pulled beef. I did a 5# chuck roast last week. 250 at grid for approx 2hrs/lb. Took off egg at 205-210 internal. I didn't foil or spray. Just low and slow and never touched it. Great bark. It doesn't pull as easy as pork and it took longer then I expected. Sure was great sandwiches mixed with SBR's. I certainly will do it again.
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,171
    Italian sausage and peppers is one of my favorites. Served over a nice farfalle or penne. Takes 4-5 hours to reduce all the veggies, and the flavors are incredible. I add a couple chunks of cherry wood to this cook.

• Nice looking cook, I'd like to try it. What temperture did you do the reduction at and besides peppers and onions it looks like you added tomato sacuce? Any other spicing?

• fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,702
    have you tried different rib recipes like cats rib recipe or chinese style ribs or big honkin beef ribs. chinese ribs are good because you can have terryaki beef sticks ready to throw on at half time, only takes a minute to cook the sticks once the fire gets hot enough.
  • Whole Sirloin cooked low and slow like a prime rib roast, heck a prime rib roast is good. I'm thinking of spatchcocking a turkey just to give it a try.