Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Throwdown inspired Lebanese Lamb

Doug in Eggmonton
Doug in Eggmonton Posts: 1,999
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Couldn't make up my mind which way to go with the throwdown, Cumin, rice and Pistachios sounded like a dish I once had in a lebanese restaurant. Scallops sounded like one of my favorite appetizers. So I made Rice flour and cumin crusted scalops in a warm bacon sherry, cranberry reduction with cumin roasted pistachios as an appetizer. And I made lebanese lamb and nut scented rice as the main.

Scallop raws:
throwdown004.jpg

Toased some nuts in the egg

throwdown002.jpg

Quite a few nuts actually:
throwdown006.jpg

Randi made apple and Lemon Merangue pies
throwdown010.jpg

Here's the Lebanese Rice and lamb raws
throwdown014.jpg

The boneless leg of lamb was coated inside and out with toasted cumin corriander and pepper, which were then ground with a stick of cinnamon. Then tied and left in the fridge for 3 hours.

Diced the onions and garlic then sauteed them in a large dutch oven until carmelized.

Meanwhile toasted some spices and thawed some home made stock.

When the onions were ready added another bunch of toasted cumin, corriander, pepper and cinnamon, stirred the basmati rice in and coated it in the oil, then added the chicken stock, brought to a boil and put on the egg with the lamb and a few chicken legs for those who didn't like lamb.

throwdown016.jpg

In the mean time I did the scallops by grinding rice and cumin into cumin rice flour. Then some buckboard bacon, shallots, sherry, sherry vinegar and cranberry juice were reduced to make a sauce. Then I coated the top and bottom of the scallops with the cumin rice flour mixture and seared the scallops over very high heat.

The scallops qualified for the throwdown right up until this picture... They could have been cooked on the egg, but the egg was busy (Remember the lamb)
throwdown018.jpg

and Served:

throwdown019.jpg

When the lamb and chicken was all cooked added the toasted nuts a handfull of mint and two handfulls of parsley from the garden.

throwdown017.jpg

Then the rice mixture was split 80-10 into two batches and then sliced the lamb and chicken into small pieces which were mixed separately into the rice and served.

Plated

throwdown020.jpg

Hanging off to the left of the plate were some cute skewerd grape tomatoes basil and bocconncini skewers, that my daughter made up and I grilled while the meats were being chopped up.

It was an amazing meal according to the guests. Thanks for the inspration throwdown folks.

Doug

Comments