Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Attention Egghead Home Brewers

Options
Roudy
Roudy Posts: 431
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Bottled my first batch of homebrew five weeks ago. It was a Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA clone. I continuously hopped with a blend of Warrier, Amarillo, and Simcoe hops. One week primary fermentation, two weeks secondary fermentation... Dry hopped with Amarillo and Simcoe. The aroma and taste are terrific. :woohoo: Nice color and head retention. My only disappointment is that I have some cold haze issues. :pinch: I'm looking forward to my second batch, although I don't know what I'll be making yet.

DSC_0008.jpg

Comments

• RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    Relax don't worry, enjoy a homebrew!!

I used to brew a couple batches a month, had a primary and secondary always going. Gotta keep the house clean and germ free though - my two kids have ruined that one. Hope to get back into it in a few more years..

All the best!
  • NibbleMeThis
    Options
    You probably already know this blog but check out Grill and Barrel, a fellow Egghead.

They probably have a lot to share with you.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    I can’t be 100% sure…As there may other circumstance… :unsure:
    But, I believe that the haze issue is most likely a matter of conditioning / Kraeusening.
    Do one last “additional step” from secondary to an additional secondary with either some invert sugar (even if you didn’t use any in the brew) or a bit of green beer from a fresh batch.
    Decant your brew, add the sugar or green beer / wort (how much depends upon the size of the batch) and hold for about another ten days. Decant again and bottle or keg. You will be amazed at the difference in taste and clarity :) !
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    BTW, Welcome to the world of home brewing!
    It's a blast!
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    NICE!I buy mine at Kroger!Wish I had your time and talent! B)
  • BeerBQ
    BeerBQ Posts: 119
    Options
    Nice looking homebrew. I've been brewing for 3+ years. I hope to smoke some grains on my egg for use in a batch soon. Great hobby.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Ah, I used to homebrew. Good stuff indeed.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Hey let me know how that turns out and what smoke you use. I might have to try that. PM me when you do. Cool.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    That is a nice lookin' brew!!
  • Roudy
    Roudy Posts: 431
    Options
    This was a partial grain recipe. I'm not quite ready to go to all-grain. The thought of doing some smoking of a portion of the grains in a future batch crossed my mind, but I'd definitely need to superheat the Egg(s) first to remove residual odor/taste of previous cooks.
  • Rib Fan
    Rib Fan Posts: 305
    Options
    Seeing that gives me flashbacks of my college years. Fun times.

Wayne
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    Nice, about the haze, IPA shouldn't be served all that cold anyway.

Enjoy

Doug
  • FSUScotsman
    Options
    I never worried that much about the haze. Taste is much more important. IPAs are so much fun to brew as they are hard to mess up and the reward of a great tasting brew is pretty high. I tend to do mostly porters and stouts but I now have a new "old" fridge so I'm going to try to do some lagering!!! I also keg just about everything, bottles are such a pain. :pinch:
  • Zyme
    Zyme Posts: 180
    Options
    Homebrewing and BBQ on the egg: My reasons for living. It does NOT get anybetter than having something on the egg smoking while my friends are over drinking homebrew. :)