Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Virgin Cook of the 1st Plulled Pork! Yikes!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello!
It is 11:30 Sat. night, the BGE is set and we are preparing to cook our first pulled pork (thank you, to who told me the cut of pork I would buy in Canada!) My Frank thinks it will take 18 hours for our 6 lb little porker to cook. With the anticipation of tomorrow's delectible delight we will be having "sweet smokin dreams!"
The question for this big event in our BGE life is, what do you serve or goes good with this culinary delight!
Sweet dreams, nighty night to all and pray the BGE coals don't go out!
Sincerely
Franks Wife

Comments

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Franks Wife,
    For me it is all about the Que. I do buns and eastern Carolina style vinegar sauce and eat! Normally after 4 I'm thinking whether or not to do 5. Baked beans, slaw, potato salad, and hush puppies are the sides of choice at all the pig pickens I have been to though.[p]Dennis

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    Franks Wife,[p]Here's a twist on an old standard. I've always had this as broccoli and cauliflower florets in the past but the prepared slaw (if you can find it!) is a lot faster. Also, I had no lemon or plain vinegar to make the dressing once. I'll never make it without raspberry vinegar again, if I can help it.[p]Broccoli/Cauliflower Coleslaw Salad[p]Ingredients:
    • Package broccoli/cauliflower slaw (think this is a 1 lb bag)
    • 6 strips bacon (cooked crisp and crumbled)
    • 1 cup raw sunflower seeds
    • 1/4 cup diced red onion (optional)
    • 1/2 cup of raisins (optional)[p]Dressing:
    • 1 cup mayonnaise (not miracle whip!)
    • 2 T. Raspberry Vinegar
    • 1/4 cup sugar (or Splenda works well in this!)[p]Mix together slaw, onion, and dressing. Chill. Just before serving, add sunflower seeds, raisins and bacon.

• Vegas Slim
    Options
    dhuffjr,
    we like it on a bun with a little sauce and some cole slaw yum! good luck with the cook you will love it!

• Franks Wife,
    There is just something about slaw. Not that you cannot enjoy the slo-pig without it, but it goes fantastically well with pulled porky. The combination doesn’t make much sense to someone born and raised in the mid-west (otherwise known as “dead center”), but some Carolina eggers kept insisting that pulled pork and slaw are inseparable items and I gave it a try. The hidden benefit to logging into a forum (especially one like the BGE forum) is discovering hidden tribal knowledge that would be otherwise be neglected.[p]If this is your first foray into low-and-slow pork shoulder, don’t get too bent out of shape about the necessity of having a mess of slaw on hand, you will enjoy your feast without the presence of coleslaw. But after you have Queued a few butts, get a mess of coleslaw and try the two flavors together. I’m only relaying what I have read and tried, but slaw and PP really do go hand in hand.[p]Regardless of menu, welcome to slo-ville.

• BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363
    Options
    Franks Wife,[p]Here's a great place to start. It's the slaw on Elder Ward's "North Carolina Style Pulled Pork" on TNW's website:[p]Mary Lee's, "I Fought the Slaw and The Slaw Won".[p]I sometimes like to use "The Traditional North Carolina Sauce" recipe, bring it to a boil and immediately pour it over finely chopped cabbage. Immediately chill the coleslaw and sauce to keep it from cooking the cabbage. [p]as far as serving the pulled pork, here's a quote from the same article:
    1.) Sandwiches have to be served on the cheapest white bread buns money can buy. Remember the pork is the thing here. When you use the vinegar finishing sauce here is how you do it. While the meat is still hot, drench it with the sauce in the holding pan and let it set for a few minutes. This will let the meat absorb the flavor and moisture of the vinegar sauce. Place as much pulled pork as you can place on the bun without losing it. Then scoop half as much of that seasoned cold slaw on top of that then cover and eat it NOW! With all the ice tea you can stand.[p]BobinFla
    who thinks that The Naked Whiz's website should be required reading, no matter what color your ceramic cooker is

• BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363
    Options
    Yikes:[p]Forgot the link.[p]In case I can't get it to work, cut and paste it from here:[p]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/elder.htm
    [ul][li]Elder Ward's Pulled Pork[/ul]
  • Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    Franks Wife,[p]Here is one of the many ways to enjoy part of that fantastic delicacy.[p]Bake a large potato in the egg or in the oven. When perfectly done, slit it open and butter it down good on the inside. Add a slice of american cheese and top with a big helping of pulled pork. Add ranch dressing to that and enjoy what we term as a "Hickory Tater" down here in the south.[p]This makes a full meal in itself. Believe me![p]

• chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    Options
    Franks Wife,[p]Don't forget to set some pull aside for ABT's![p]Chuck
  • Bob V
    Bob V Posts: 195
    Options
    Here in North Carolina there is a huge split between "eastern-style" and "western (or Lexington) - style" barbecue. The styles are distinguished not only by the barbecue sauce itself - eastern has no tomato, just vinegar and peppers - but by the slaw.[p]Western-style slaw is noticeable "hotter* (spice-wise) than Eastern and uses some of the tomato BBQ sauce on the slaw itself. Elder Ward's recipie is a good one, but others are also good. Just search for "Eastern North Carolina Slaw". Eastern slaw tends to be what most folks outside North Carolina think of as slaw - no tomato, mostly cabbage and mayonaisse with perhaps some lemon.[p]There is something about slaw that just goes with barbecue. Partly it is the flavor, and partly it is the texture. Good slaw - IMHO - has a crunch and a snap to it. Slaw that has become soggy is not a good thing.[p]Barbecue on a plate always has the slaw to the side, but down here any barbecue sandwich has slaw on top of the barbecue in the bun.[p]On the Outer Banks of North Carolina across from Cape Hatteras there is an area with excellent windsurfing known as "Canadian Hole" because so many Canadian license plates are in evidence there. It is wonderful to think that our neighbors to the far north are bringing home this local culinary specialty, and serves as further prooof of their native good sense and worldly sophistication.[p]Now if I could only find good poutine in North Carolina -[p]Bob
  • It all sounds good. Not sure how we are going to eat it yet. Just waiting for it to get done. Temperature seems to be stuck around 150F. Was at 159 but dropped to 150 and holding. I have taken the BGE temp up from 225 to 300. Will be somewhat patient though. Thanks for all your eating suggestions.[p]Frank

• Thanks to all with your suggestions! Success.... with the pork!
    I couldn't believe what a compliment the coleslaw was with the pork and how after 18 hours of cooking how moist it could be. Wow! This is a great site all you folks are great. And I get to have a culinary geography lesson.
    Thanks again,
    Franks wife in Canada

• Bob V,
    Secret to good poutine is fresh potatoes, great gravey and real cheddar cheese curds. That is the north of the border secret. Thanks for your help with the coleslaw. I never new there was a "Canadian Hole", hope they are real friendly and you get a kick out of the personalized license plates, that some of the cars might have!
    tah tah for now
    Franks Wife[p]

• Bob V
    Options
    The only curd-like thing available here is cottage cheese![p]Thanks - Bob
  • Bob V,
    Just for a point of interest the only place we get cheese curds are from a Cheese House or Cheese Factory. Do you have anything like that around you?
    Franks Wife[p]

• Bob V
    Options
    Nothing like a Cheese House/Factory down here. The closest we can get to cheese curds are "string cheese", which is definitely not the same thing....[p]Bob