Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wok hei has been achieved

Options
Boilermaker Ben
Boilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been practicing with my new wok for a week or two, but as I have posted previously, for some reason I was hesitant to let the wok get too hot. Finally got the cajones to let the wok get rip-roaring hot yesterday. When I added the oil right before the meat, it caught fire immediately. I just tossed the sliced beef right into the flames (my father-in-law was looking at me like I was a madman) and got to cooking. The meat was wonderful; the first time I've been able to get that "breath of a wok" taste at home. I'll take that Man Card back, thankyouverymuch.
Unfortunately, wok cooking moves a little too fast to take the time for photos.

Comments

• Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    Yep, once you achieve Wok Hei you can clearly taste it and there's no going back, all other wokked food tastes insipid after you get it right.

Doug
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    biggest learning curve to overcome with a wok is going hot hot hot, it seems instictual to lower the heat to avoid burning. but hotter, quicker, faster really adds to the dish
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Can it be achieved stovetop? Im wondering why all the hype over wokking on the Egg. I can't see what value it would add, unless it was regarding very high temp.
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Options
    I have to agree. The moment you get you spider the right direction with the WOK it really is night and day. A wonderful style of cooking and I am not just talking about doing just Asian dishes in it. Glad to hear you have your card back :P . Now work on the photo's, it can be done! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    Can it be achieved stovetop?

Not really. Most home stovetops just don't put out the BTUs. If you look at the burners at stir-fry restaurants (or on Iron Chef), you'll see how much heat they put out. There are books that have methods for getting the wok flavor on a stovetop ("Breath of a Wok" by Grace Young is one) but they often have a disclaimer that it still won't compare to cooking on a REALLY hot wok.

Alton Brown had a show where he cooked over a burner meant for one of those outdoor turkey fryers.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    my biggest burner on the stove is 18,000 btu's. you really need a separate wok burner, maybe 30,000 minimum. i can cook on 18000 but the batches are seriously reduced, i do wok indoor as well as the egg. what happens is that moisture runs down out of the meat and instead of searing browning the moisture starts to turn meat grey and almost starts to steam it when there isnt enough heat. atleast thats what happens when im cooking indoors and put too much in the wok.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bitslammer
    bitslammer Posts: 818
    Options
    I do all of my wok cooking on the my propane burner that came for the 3-in-1 grill/smoker/fryer. No idea on the BTU but on full flame I can get some nice serious char on my Sezchaun Green Beans in no time at all.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    OOOHHHH!!!!! when the in laws are watching you HAVE to make it look good! no matter what happens you MEANT to do that :whistle: mine just don't get me :woohoo: wonder why???? :blush: I tell Neil all the time he has to be adopted LOL
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Options
    Always sit by the kitchen to get the "breath of a wok" smell.
    Love it especially if they cover the dish and you open it at the table my gosh what a rush of smells.
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    I spent a huge amount of money on my stove when we rennovated. One main reason for the one I chose was that it could go hot enough and had a good setup for lowering the Wok into a very hot flame. Very few stoves can get to Wok Hei and keep it up after adding food, but the egg and the Bluestar can.

Doug
  • Perennial Smoke
    Options
    WOW! I would love to see that and taste it. Can you bring your wok to EGGwego Fest?

Nancy